Chapter 43: Tamasha Hona Hi Tha

When the four of them, Amma, Keerthi, Ragahv, and Pallavi, reached the venue for the pooja, they were overwhelmed with the color and excitement in the air. Almost immediately Ashwini aunty saw Pallavi and went over to introduce herself to Pallavi's family.

"Pallavi beta, you came! Also, what an amazing saree! Won't you introduce me to your family and this...very handsome man standing next to you?" Ashwini asked, seriously taken aback by Raghav's handsomeness.

Pallavi laughed, "Ashwini Aunty, meet my Amma, Keerthi, my sister-in-law, and do not blow up my husband's, Raghav's, ego too much please. He already thinks he's the only handsome man in all of Hyderabad."

Raghav smiled and shook Ashwini's hand, "Don't listen to her Ashwini Aunty, my wife just doesn't want to admit that I'm prettier than her, but it's nice to meet someone who understands my unique handsomeness" He looked at Pallavi and winked, she shot back a sarcastic smile.

"Pallavi, why didn't you come with Sharda Ji and the rest of the Deshmukhs? I saw them just a little while ago...there they are." Ashwini pointed out Aai to Pallavi, as well as the rest of her family.

Pallavi fell silent, and Amma was about to come up with some excuse, but before that Raghav interrupted Ashwini, "Aunty, we decided to come separately because we just live in different parts of town now, too much hassle to come in the same car, right? Pallavi, shouldn't you go with Ashwini Aunty to get ready for the pooja, I'll find seats for Amma and Keerthi, no problem."

Pallavi nodded absentmindedly, still glancing at Aai and Baba and the other Deshmukhs, wishing that she could have gone over to hug them, to talk to them, even just be nearer to them without Baba yelling at her. But she composed herself quickly, this was her first festival with her new family, it had to go well, because this pooja was just as much for her as it was for Raghav. "Yes, Ashwini Aunty, I brought all the items, but could we double check them, and could you tell me where everyone else is setting up and the like?"

Ashwini Aunty nodded, a little confused at the tension she was noticing after mentioning the Deshmukhs' name, but thinking nothing of it. The both of them went off closer to the big banyan tree at the center of the venue where other women were gathering.

Raghav quickly found seats for Amma and Keerthi and was about to go have a word with the Deshmukhs, especially that Sanki Buddha, when Amma grabbed his wrist, "Ragahv, don't create a scene. I know what happened with Pallavi was wrong, but she's trying to make a fresh start. Don't misunderstand her, she definitely didn't come here just for Sharda Ji or Vijay Ji, I can promise you that."

Ragahv replied, "Amma, you don't have to tell me to trust Pallavi, I do, what I don't trust is that Sanki Buddha who will no doubt find a way to hurt my wife today, and I don't want that." Raghav walked towards the Deshmukhs, wondering and hoping that Amma was right. Even if Amma wasn't right, so what if Pallavi came here to meet her family, she had kept a fast for him not for them, she loved him too, even if it wasn't as much as she loved her family, she did love him. He had to trust her.

He approached Vijay and Sharda from the side, who hadn't noticed him until he was standing right next to them.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Deshmukh, how are you and your family doing today?" Raghav asked, keeping his voice quiet and as level as he could.

Vijay clenched his fists and turned to Raghav, "What in god's name are you doing here?" Vijay had hoped that Pallavi would have been sensible enough to not come to this event, to do whatever pooja she wanted to do at her new mansion of a house, but no, she was just as rude and cruel as he had thought.

Raghav put on a thin smile, "Sharda Ji, I hope your fast hasn't been too hard to keep this year, I know that it must take a lot of effort to beg God to keep a man like your husband alive, seeing as nothing but bitter and idiotic words come out of his mouth."