Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

Bree sat down a few flights from the ground on the school's bleachers. The only reason why I even agreed to come to this game is for the food that awaits for me. After rejecting Etienne a while ago, I felt shitty for the rest of the day. I kept thinking if I made the right choice. Am I falling for him? There has to be a way to make it up to him. Don't get me wrong, he's also a friend. And a friend is by far more important than a stupid relationship that's meant to flunk one way or another.

Boys come and go. But friends? Once you let them go, nothing will be the same. You will never be the same. What if all I want for now is friendship? Surely, Etienne should understand that. French boys are just so complicated. Are they just good at french kissing?

"You know what, you've been thinking way too seriously for the past hour. Do you need me to act as your shrink?" Bree asked, snapping me out of my drowning thoughts.

I shook my head and sent her a small smile. "Thanks, but I have to turn your offer down. You and psychiatry just don't feel right in a sentence." 

Bree fake frowned and slapped my arm sending billions of aftershocks. "I hate you. Don't you know I'm meant to replace our school's guidance counselor? Everyone is asking for my advice."

"What kind of advice? Oh, I know! 'Hey Bree, what should I wear if I want to look slutty?' Is that it?" I asked, trying to contain my laughter.

Bree raised her perfectly outlined left eyebrow. "That hurts, Frances."

I stretched my legs, accidentally hitting a man in a black shirt. "I'm sorry." I apologized.

He glared then shook his head.

"Anyway, I will just grab some coke from the drink stand. I don't get this school sometimes. Alcohol is legal for eighteen year olds. But, they do not allow it." I said.

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"See? There are underage people taking advantage of the law in order for them to get pissed." Bree reasoned out. "Besides, you're American right? They allow you to drink at the age of twenty - one. You should be used to it."

I laughed, "Here am I, thinking I can finally experience the feeling of being drunk as hell for I am in a country that allows eighteen year old teenagers to drink, but I turned out to contradict myself. Can I be the world's greatest paradox?"

Bree giggled, "I'm sorry about earlier by the way."

Bree doesn't know that I don't have any clue of what's happening. It's not her fault.

"It's alright. I'll be back." I told her as I went to descend the stairs.

The Burlington Academy football field is packed with students of the school, who are very few, but students from St. Catherine mostly dominate the crowd. I walked towards the drink stand and ordered for a can of diet coke. I was tapping away on my phone telling Harry not to call me tonight because I'm on a game. Harry is not a fan of soccer. Like any other American teenage boy, he's damn obsessed with basketball.

"Oh my God! Isn't that Euan Lawrence?" A girl from behind me screamed which caught my attention.

A guy with blackish - brown hair came and winked at the girl who uttered his name as if it was the Prince of England's name. Talk about being a flirt. I thought Francois is the biggest flirt on the face of the earth.

"Here's your diet coke, love." The girl behind the stand said.

"Thanks. Can I also please have-"