Chapter Thirteen

On a chilly Monday night, I received a call from my father while doing my Biology assignment. It was unusual for him to call since he rarely does ring me nowadays. Once receiving the unexpected news, I suddenly wasn't in the mood to finish the work I had to do.

"Hello," I said.

"Frances, glad you picked up." He said, his voice sounding so stressed and tired.

"Dad," I placed the pen on my book and closed it. "Is there something wrong?"

I checked the clock and it says, 7:25 pm. In the Californian timezone, it's 11:25 am. Usually, Dad is at work in his architectural firm. And he never calls at this time of the day. He always does when he has his lunch break which is at twelve.

"Honey, I think I may not be able to send your allowance for this month. Do you think it's possible for you to save up a bit? I'm a little short right now. The firm is not doing well after Joe runaway with half the money we are expected to get from a huge project without it finished." He sighed over the other line, probably rubbing his temples.

Joe is one of his business partners. I never liked that guy. He always looked suspicious.

"Sure, did you inform Harry about this?" I asked, feeling the awkwardness. I have something to tell him that's been eating me up since the incident at the park. I don't understand why I can't just say it like I'm supposed to.

"Yes, I did, sweetheart. Your brother is currently working on a coffee shop in New York as his part time job. He can pull it, I'm sure of that." He paused. "But what I've been worrying about is you. Are the people there open to having teenagers working? And you are in a boarding school. Stephanie told me you are not allowed to leave the campus unless it's the weekends."

I smiled, so after all, he is worried about my well - being. "Dad, of course they allow noisy and bitchy teenagers to work here. It's not like it's against the law. Besides, it's only a part time job. I can easily get one. But as you said, campus rules are rules. I'm not sure if the head mistress will appreciate one of their students sneaking out in the middle of the night just to work."

He gave out a light chuckle. "Alright, I'll probably call the head mistress and inquire if they could give an exemption. Goodnight, Frances, and take care."

"Okay, bye." I said.

I stared at my unfinished Biology work. There's no way I could get this done with thoughts bothering me. But of course, as a good student, I have to and I will.

After an hour, I finished my work. I decided to go downstairs to the cafeteria since that hellish assignment took most of my energy. Part of it was spent on thinking how the bloody hell am I going to survive for a month. My current balance could barely feed me for a month minus the necessities I have to buy.

A pain shot through my forehead as someone's body bumped into me. Rubbing my head, I looked up to see Hell glaring at me.

"You know, we should really stop meeting like this." I said.

He rolled his eyes and snickered, "Right, if only you could stop being so stupid then we can."

Furious, I side stepped him to continue my way towards the cafeteria. "You are such an asshole."

"It's arsehole, love." He said, giving me one last smirk before disappearing.

That reminds me, this is how we met the first time. Bumping into each other then the "asshole -arsehole" tag line. I can't help but chuckle at how childish we are. And how absolutely unoriginal he is with that "arsehole" comeback. I mean, if you already used a punchline once, it will lose its sass the next time that you say it. Yup, definitely unoriginal Hell.