Chapter Two: The One with The Baseball Bat

Chapter 2

It was early. Too early. Actually, by Carina's standards it was still the middle of the night but when she was awoken by a soft pair of lips covering her own she wasn't too bothered, although her brain was still half-asleep.

"Hey - go back to sleep," she heard Maya whisper as a hand stroked her cheek.

"No - come back to bed," Carina mumbled.

"I can't."

"I want to say goodbye."

"I think we said goodbye multiple times last night," Maya chuckled.

Carina just groaned, trying to pull the blonde in closer.

"I've gotta go. My car is outside," Maya said, picking up her jacket from the side table.

"I'm going to miss you," Carina said, opening her eyes up properly to get one last look at her wife. She was dressed casually yet comfortable, athletic fitted jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, a matching pair of trainers on and a baseball cap in hand.

"I'll miss you too - I promise to phone you as soon as I land and I'll try to FaceTime you at night," Maya replied, wheeling her suitcase closer to the door and picking up her duffel bag also.

"I hate when you go to these things," the brunette complained. She missed waking up to Maya next to her, or at least being in the same space as her - now she would be alone for a week.

"Me too - but it's just for a week and then you can have me all you want," Maya promised.

"I'll look forward to it," Carina winked.

"Okay - I'm going. I love you," Maya said, bringing the brunette in for a kiss, one that was full of love and passion that showed just how much she loved her wife as well as how much she was going to miss her.

"I love you too, so much. Be safe!" Carina added as they pulled away.

"I will, see you soon," Maya said, placing one final kiss on her forehead before wheeling the suitcase out of their room and carrying the duffel in her hand, closing the door with her foot.

Carina waited until she heard the closing of the front door before she fell back into the bed, the blonde's side already getting cooler with the absence of her body. Carina pulled the pillow closer to her and hugged it, the sleep taking over as she fell back asleep, the lasting touch of Maya's lips on her own occupying her dreams.

The clock had just turned seven when a ringing sounded from the side of Carina - she with a muffled groan she blindly swung her arm out and muted the invading noise. In habit she moved her hand to feel for her wife but was met by cold sheets. The first thought that ran through her brain was Maya was out on a run, but then the second thought came quickly after it - Maya was on her way to the conference.

She stared at the empty side of the bed before sighing and pushing herself out from beneath the covers.

She picked up her phone and smiled when she saw a message from the blonde.

Maya: Just arrived at the airport - I miss you and I love you xx

She'd sent that around an hour ago which meant she was probably on the plane by now but Carina still typed out a response knowing the blonde would receive it when she landed.

Carina: I miss you too bambina! Ti amo! [Picture sent]

She decided to send over a picture of herself, Maya's academy t-shirt covering her body, knowing that the blonde had a whole host of photos that she secretly took of her - which weren't all that secret as Carina had spotted the blonde scrolling through them one night.