Chapter Five: The One with The Letter

A/N: Thank you all so much for the response to the last chapter! I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Now, here we go for chapter five...

Chapter Five 

As Maya's feet pounded against the ground she didn't know what to think. The usual thought of going home to her family was one that was always welcomed, but right now she was dreading it. The thought of having to go back and face the unspoken tension that they both still had was a feeling that was settled right in the pit of Maya's stomach, making her feet feel heavy and her mind hurt. The idea that Carina was angry with her, mad at her, disappointed in her was not something Maya ever wanted to feel.

They were usually able to keep their work and home life separate, any issues from either realm were kept there and didn't interfere with the other - but this time it was different. This was bigger than anything they'd ever faced before. Carina had told Maya she didn't care and she'd given up and equally Maya had told her to stand-down, something she'd never had to say, nor ever imagined she would say. But she couldn't change any of that now. She knew that they would have to talk about it when she got home, she just didn't want it to get any worse but with both of their high tempers and stubbornness she didn't have much hope in that happening.

Half an hour later, she found herself outside their home. Most of the lights were switched off, from the front she could only see the living room one on, but that looked fairly dim. With a sigh she began walking up the path and took out her keys.

She opened up the door quietly, the ache in muscles really beginning to set in after the call they had, plus her workout at the station then her run home. She had definitely overworked herself and she was feeling the consequences.

She was immediately greeted by Enzo, who managed to get a smile on her face. No matter what she was feeling, the golden ball of fur in her arms would be able to ignite that sense of happiness in her body and she was eternally grateful for him being in her life and couldn't imagine her days without him.

"Hey buddy," Maya happily greeted. "Ah I need that," she laughed as he licked at her face. She listened to see where her wife was but fell short, she stood up from her position on the floor and saw the kitchen empty, as well as the dining room and the living room. She heard some faint sounds from upstairs and took the hint she was already getting ready for bed. She saw her bag next to the coffee table and picked it up before bracing herself to go upstairs.

"Wish me look Enzo," she said.

She took the steps carefully, the movements hurting her legs as they strongly protested the concept of anything that wasn't sitting down.

When she finally reached the bedroom she walked in seeing Carina putting away some of the laundry into their respective drawers and wardrobes.

"Hey," Maya said, not sure what else to say.

"How was your run?" Carina replied, not turning around.

"Good. It was good - my legs hurt though," Maya laughed, trying to lighten up some of the tension.

"Maybe you should have got in the car then."

"Are we seriously going to do this?" Maya sighed.

"Do what?"

"Whatever this is? Meaningless, passive aggressive conversation to avoid talking about it!" Maya argued.

"What do you want me to say?" Carina said, finally turning back around.

"Anything! I don't know! But, whatever is going on is ridiculous - you didn't say one word to me since we got back from that call."

"Neither did you," Carina countered.