Chapter 8

In uneven steps the Alpha found his corner and slumped down into it, facing the wall.

Taehyung approached him and dropping his hand onto the large figure, he moved closer, slowly, while constantly touching to let the Alpha know where he was.

Despite his heat -which felt momentarily weakened with all the shock- Taehyung no longer felt any fear when he was with the Alpha. After all, even though Taehyung's scent had filled the cave for hours before the guards came down, the Wolf hadn't tried to do anything.

Taehyung was working hard to ignore the warm feeling blooming in his heart just because the Alpha hadn't taken advantage of him, not even during a time when his ability to think straight was compromised and he'd be more than willing, driven by the needs of his wolf rather than his own.

This was the first time that Taehyung had ever felt entirely safe with an Alpha.

Taehyung leaned over with dread, not wanting to see the injury.

The gash was deep, half over his ribs and it wouldn't stop bleeding, nor was it healing like it should have done. Taehyung teared up, trying to keep his voice level when he spoke quietly.

"It's bad. I can't bind it unless you shift. It won't stop bleeding unless you put something on it..." Taehyung could feel the large tears of anguish trickle down his cheeks, silently dropping down and melting into the dark fur. A desperate darkness started spreading inside Taehyung at the realisation that the Alpha was hurt badly enough that he might not recover.

"Please." Taehyung pleaded, his voice small and broken.

"You know their weapons have silver in them, you know it's not the same as just an ordinary cut! You know this!!" His slender hands tried, uselessly, to shake some sense into the stoic Wolf, pushing against the large body without effect, his voice getting shrill from the panic billowing inside him. The fear of even the possibility of living without the Alpha suddenly ripped through Taehyung.

It wasn't until this very moment that he realised he wasn't just fond of the wolf, but that he was in love with him... deeply, utterly, irrevocably in love. It had snuck in when he wasn't paying attention and the feelings had grown quietly, in the sweet, gentle darkness of his heart during every quiet conversation, every quiet moment shared in comfort between two beings no longer strangers in this peculiar shadowy world underground, infinitely comforted by each other's presence.

Had he not been so upset, Taehyung would have laughed at himself for falling in love with someone whose face he hadn't seen, whose voice he hadn't even heard, who he had never even kissed before.

But he knew that even though words hadn't been exchanged, the wolf had spoken plenty and that... somehow... Taehyung felt he knew the man -and not just the wolf- because he could feel him. It was as if they were speaking on a deeper level where words were needed less than they were needed between humans.

If words ran deep, then feelings ran deeper.

He collapsed onto the wolf and sobbed inconsolably, leaning his cheek against the heartbeat he could hear booming slowly under the soft fur, stretching his arm over the expansive ribcage, trying to hold all of him in his embrace but not reaching far enough.