Chapter 6 - Here goes nothing

It is now 1pm and I am scrubbing in with Wilson next to me. My breathing has become quicker. "Wil-Wilson, go and get Miss Olsen NOW" I shout. "Y-Yes" She runs and finds Lizzie. "Miss Olsen" Wilson says to Lizzie. "Yeah" She responds. "Dr Axwell needs you now" She rushes. "Ok" They both come running back down into the scrub room. "Wilson give me two minutes please" I say and she leaves. "You ok" Lizzie asks me. "I-I- can't b-breathe" I struggle to say whilst clutching my chest. "Ok erm... look at me" I slowly look at her. "You are having a panic attack, ok so what I want you to do, I tap each of my fingers and with yours ok" I nod. "One, Two, Three, Four, Five" She whispers as I tap them. "Look you are breathing fine" She points out. "Thank you" I praise back. "It is alright, you have got it" She smiles and kisses me. I kiss her back and relax a lot more. She walks out and I finish scrubbing in. 

I walk into the OR and look up at the gallery and see lots of people, but Lizzie was right in the front row next to Callie and Arizona. "Listen to what she will say" Callie said to Lizzie. "Dr Axwell you gotta say it." Wilson asks me. "Ok, Ok, ladies and gentlemen I think it is an awesome afternoon to save wonderful lives" I shout and everyone laughs. I look at Lizzie and see her smiling. I walk to the table look down the surgical microscope. "Right erm... ok" I stutter. "Axwell do you know what you are doing" Wilson questions me. "Nope, I have no plan,we are just going to cut our way through" I say. I heard gasps around the room. Oh well. "Bokhee, suture scissors" I grab them and make the first cut. 

We have been in surgery for about 4 hours. "Axwell his BP is dropping" Wilson points out. "Ok quickly cover him up and flip him, be careful" I shout. We flip him. "He is in V-Tach" Wilson shouts. "Shit ok. Paddles" I demand. "Clear" I shock him. I quickly look up at the gallery and see that everyone is standing. I look at the screen. "He is back" Wilson states. "Ok,Ok, flip him over carefully" I ask. He is flipped again and we continue. Another 2 hours in and it is getting really stressful. I start panicking again. I step away from the table. "Axwell you ok" Wilson asks me. "Someone take my mask of NOW!!!!" I shouts. I then throw up. "I'm ok, I'm ok" I say. I nod up to Lizzie which calms her. After another 2 hours I notice Lizzie is still sat there, with some people around her. "Can someone please call up to the gallery and get Miss Olsen on the phone" I ask. After a couple minutes I hear Lizzie's voice. "Hey girl" I sigh. "You ok" She asks me. "Yeah, we are gonna be here for a lot longer than I anticipated, so go home and get some rest" I tell her. "Look you need people with you, so I will stay up here, I can sleep here ok" She demands back. "Damn ok, you can say, I must say, when you do that head tilt, it scared me" I laughed. She giggled. "I better get back to this ok" I sigh. "Ok bye" She puts the phone down. 

We finally get down to the last cut. Lizzie had about 9 hours sleep and was up at 6am to watch me again. I finally reached the 21st hour in the surgery. "Dr Wilson is your hand ok" I asked concerningly. "I just have cramp I will be fine" she shoots back. "Dr Wilson I need your hand to be as steady as possible, which you cannot do of you if your hand is cramping" I state. "I know" She replied sadly. I looked up at Lizzie and shook my head. Lizzie just shrugged. "Dr Wilson have you had a drink today." I asked. She didn't reply to my question. "Dr Wilson, hand spasms are a sign of dehydration, now tell me had a drink" I shout. "No" She whispered. "No, no, that's what I thought, you didn't drink because you wanted this surgery to yourself" I shout frustratingly. I look up at Lizzie again and she is doing the deep breathing actions at me to calm me down. I nod at her and take deep breaths. "Dr Wilson, go have a break please, Edwards you can step in" I suggest. Wilson walks out and Edwards steps up. 

Five hours later I have the blind cut. "I need you to call up to the gallery and get the attendings to answer please" The nurse puts the phone on speaker and I talk to them. "Axwell you ok" Hunt asks. "I have two vessels, one cut is the correct cut or if I do the other one I will paralyze this man" I say. "Theo we can't tell you what cut to make, this is your surgery, it is your decision not ours" Lexie explained to me.  "A or B... A or B" I say to myself. "Alright, he goes nothing" I cut the vessel. I looked up at the gallery and everyone was clapping and cheering. Lizzie was still there bless her. 

I walked out of the OR. I needed to talk to Wilson and Edwards. "Wilson, Edwards here please" I ask them. They both walk up to me. "Look you two were brilliant in there. Thank you. Wilson I am sorry I shouted at you. I am tired and stressed. Go home, get rest, I will talk more to you both tomorrow, all good though." I smile. They turn away and leave. I lean over the counter and put my head in my hands and sigh. "Hey" a soft voice speaks. I look up and see Lizzie. I pull her into a huge hug not wanting to let go. "Your ok" She softly says. I just 26 hours in a bloody OR. I still hug her tightly. "I'm tired" I  sleepy say. "I know, let me take you home" She suggest. I just nod. 

We get home, and I don't even change I just on the bed, and within a second I was fast asleep. Lizzie walks back asking a question and she notices I was already fast asleep. "Awh, baby," She sweetly says. She climbs in next to me and drifts off to sleep. 

================================================================================

Hi, I hope you liked this chapter. To make it more clearer. Lizzie stayed the whole 26 hours and slept sometimes throughout it. 

Love you nerds.