Chapter 32

Delia and Gabriel continued talking together, although it wasn't much more than small talk. In fact, they continued talking until Damian called out to Gabriel, asking him to help. After that, it wasn't too long before they arrived back at the docks. The rain had slowed, moved down to a soft drizzle, soon it would most likely disappear completely. 

"Alright, we're back." Damian said as he approached his spot at the docks, "Now once we're anchored I need to return some of the equipment we got to use, but how do you guys feel about getting drinks in about, say an hour?" He said turning to face the other two on the boat. 

"Sounds good," Gabriel said, opening the cabin door to aid in moving the boat back into place, "Do you need any help with the equipment?"

"Nah, I'll be fine, I only  need to return a few things." He replied, "I can get some drinks as well, then we could meet on the beach near Ricky." 

"The beach near Ricky?" Delia replied, "Why over there?"

"I don't know, it's a nice spot, besides maybe Ricky want to join us."

The beach near Ricky wasn't too far away. In fact, it was quite close to the docks. Now Damian was right, it was a nice spot, and usually during this time of day, rather quiet. 

"Why don't you and Gabriel go over there and I'll meet you guys there." Damian said stopping the boat fully, "Have some alone time, so you can plan that second date." He said with a wink. 

Delia hit him playfully before she started aiding them in anchoring the boat. After that, she and Gabriel helped Damian get a part of the equipment to his car before the latter drove off to return them. 

"So, that beach?" Gabriel started turning to Delia, "Where is it?"

"Oh yeah, "Delia said facing him as well, "It's not too far from here, just a quick drive. You can drive after me if you want." 

"I didn't drive here," Gabriel said rubbing the back of his neck, "Can I hitch a ride?"

Delia was confused, if he didn't drive how did he get here? "Sure..." replied, pausing for a moment, contemplating if she would ask him about it. Deciding against it she continued, "My car is over there." 

Gabriel nodded as the two of them walked over to the vehicle. Now Delia didn't exactly have the biggest car, which is fine if you are of average height, however, Gabriel was quite tall. Which meant that he, in a way, had to fold himself into the car. 

"You can push the seat down a little if that helps," Delia said as she noticed, "You're a little tall for my car." 

Gabriel chuckled, "I guess so."

For a moment he fumbled with the seat trying to figure out how to lower it, however, it seemed like he wasn't able to do so. "Here let me help," Delia said unclicking her seatbelt and leaning over him. She tried to ignore the short distance between them as she pulled the lever, causing the seat to, rather quickly move down. 

"I think you found it." Gabriel chuckled once more, as Delia moved back into her own seat. 

"Yeah I think so," She said blushing furiously before pushing a stray piece of hair behind her ear as she fastened her seat belt. 

"How far did you say it was?" Gabriel asked as Delia started the car. 

"Uhm... Around 20 minutes or so." She said as they started driving. 

Gabriel nodded, and a silence fell between them. Delia's mind kept going to the day events, to the suspicions she had about the man sitting next to her. Did he know about her being a mermaid? Was that why he pushed her inside? If he didn't drive there, did he swim there? 

For a while it remained quiet, Delia's eyes trained on the road, trying not to be distracted by the man sitting next to her. Gabriel on the other hand was staring out of the window, almost as if he was trying to take in everything that he saw. 

"Do you go on boating trips with Damian often?" Gabriel asked. 

"I'm sorry?" Delia said snapping out of her thoughts, "Oh, Uhm... From time to time. When he asks me and when I have the time." 

Gabriel nodded, "Luckily this time you remained in the boat." 

Delia chuckled, "Yeah, I can't say the same about you though." 

"That was voluntary." Gabriel replied, "I chose to leave the boat and as I said, it was quite refreshing." 

"Glad you liked it," Delia said her eyes still trained on the road. 

"Yeah..." He replied trailing off, "Sometimes the sea just calls you me, beckoning me... But you would know that, wouldn't you?" 

At that Delia's eyebrows shot up, "Would I?" She replied, as her mind started racing.

"Don't you feel it?" He asked in a calm tone, "The call of the ocean?" 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Delia replied softly, almost under her breath. 

"I think you do, I could see the fear in your eyes when he said one of us should get into the water and when it started to rain." He said looking at her. 

Delia sighed as she kept her eyes on the road. 'We're nearly there,' she thought, almost as if it was comforting. 

"Don't be scared." He said, his eyes still on her, "I just need to know for sure, to know if I'm right." 

"Right about what?" Delia asked, finally looking at him for a split second. 

"Right about you having turned into a mermaid."