Chapter 13

For a moment she didn't do anything as she felt herself sink deeper and deeper. Maybe it was because it took her a moment before she realized that she wasn't dead, maybe it was the shock. 

But it was only when she was down quite a bit that she started moving again. Suddenly her eyes shot open and she started swimming and kicking to the surface. With all her might she pushed herself, trying to reach it before she would run out of air. 

Suddenly another splash occurred next to her, causing the water around her to move violently. But in her state of panic, she didn't take much notice of it as she kept trying to get to the air.

Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her ankle and started pulling her down. Her head shot down, trying to see what it was that grabbed her, but in the darkness of the water, she couldn't see anything at all. 

Kicking she tried to escape her attacker as she felt a second hand higher up on her leg. The attacker was pulling her down fast and slowly she felt herself get weaker. Her vision started to fade as she felt the urge to take a breath rise. 

Then a light started to emit around her. Softly at first, but increasing in intensity at a quick pace. Suddenly Delia felt the energy return to her body as the urge to breathe went away. The hands that were holding onto her suddenly let go, as she quickly rushed to the surface. 

The light that surrounded her disappeared as she reached the surface and took a deep breath. For a moment she just caught her breath as she started swimming to the shore. The sound of police sirens became more and more appeared as she hauled herself onto the dry land. 

Coughing she just sat there for a moment, trying to make sense of the things that just took place. 

Who were those men? What were they after? Why did they want the rock? 

Those questions rushed through her mind as she started hearing the sound of sirens in the distance...

Once the police arrived at the scene, many things happened in a very short amount of time. First of all, an officed rushed over to her as they arrived, asking her if she was alright. 

Then an ambulance arrived and both her and the security officers were treated. Kevin had gotten the worst of it as he had a bruised face and a concussion. The other security officer had been locked knocked out with a fire extinguisher and most likely had a concussion as well. 

When they had examined Delia they had asked her how she felt, but strangely she felt fine. She no longer felt the pain of her contact with the water, nor the exhaustion she'd felt in the water. The EMT's had told her that that was most likely due to the adrenaline and that they wanted to take her to the hospital anyway. But Delia refused, telling them that if she felt bad the next day that she would go to the hospital. After that, they had reluctantly let her leave. 

Simultaneously the police officers searched the area, trying to find the perpetrators. They had managed to capture one of them as he was still inside of the building, but there was no trace of the other. 

When Delia was cleared by the EMT's an officer approached her. "I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions ma'am." 

"Sure." Delia nodded, clutching the blanket they had given her tightly. 

"According to the security footage and the other witness accounts there were two of them, is this correct?" 

"Yes, it is." 

"In your own words, what happened?" The officer inquired as Delia started recounting the entire evening, leaving out the part where she grabbed the rock...

Once she'd finished her story the officer continued with his questions."Could you describe them to me?"

"Didn't you guys already arrest one of them?" Delia said with furrowed brows.

"Yes, but we'd still like a full description." 

"Well from what I remember, one was tall and the other was average height. They both had blond hair, though the tall one had lighter hair. The tall one was thingly build and the average height one was stocky. That's really all I can come up with now." 

"Alright." The officer said, writing it down. "Would you be willing to give a full description of the facial composite?" 

"Of course." She nodded. 

"Then lastly," He said with an incredulous look on his face, "Do you have any why they were after this... Light-emitting rock?" 

At that Delia reached for the pocket in which she had placed the rock, but found it to be empty. 

"No," Delia said, "I have no idea." As her fingers padded the inside of the pocket, hoping that she would find it. 

The officer sighed, "Well it seems like at least one of them left with what he came for... Now if we need more information we'll contact you. For now, I wish you a goodnight." 

Delia nodded, not bothering to answer as her mind remained in her empty pocket. Did the man manage to get the rock while they were underwater? Or had it fallen out of her pocket? And what had that light been?

She shook those thoughts off as she went inside the aquarium and grabbed her belongings. With that, she went back to her apartment and dragged herself up the stairs. Once she reached her room the full extent of her exhaustion hit her like a ton of bricks, as she let herself fall on the bed. Within the snap of a finger, she was off to dreamland...