i. the birthday

Klaus walked away from the large house where he had told Stefan to kill the two girls living there, the sounds of screams growing quieter the farther he walked. He pulled his phone from pocket as he neared the car, dialing a somewhat dusty number.

"Nik, what a lovely surprise," a feminine English accent greeted.

"I need you to do a little detective work for me," Klaus cut right to the chase. "I've got someone for you to find. You can find him at a bar called Southern Comfort in Tulley. His name's Ray and I need him kept alive until I get there."

"Right away, sir," the woman on the phone teased. "You know I love a good hostage-in-plain-sight situation."

"That I do," Klaus said. "I'll see you soon, Madelyn."

~

Madelyn walked into the cheap looking bar, her high heel leather boots clicking on the ground. She had been a fan of leather ever since the 60s, it being in most of her modern day outfits. Usually it was just the shoes, but she felt she might fit into the bar better with her leather jacket.

Her hair flowed freely over her shoulder as she walked up towards the bar.

"Hello, handsome," she gave her best seductive smile to the bartender. "Would you happen to know if my friend Ray is here? He's a regular."

The bartender smiled back, actually thinking he had a chance with the beautiful English woman. "No, he doesn't show up until around 5."

"Oh, that's all right. I guess I could wait if you're the one keeping me company," Madelyn flirted just a bit more.

"Would you like a drink? On the house," he said.

"What I would like is if you would ignore me and my friends' actions towards Ray," she compelled him. "And I'll take some whiskey."

Madelyn smiled sickly sweet at him as she shooed him away and continued to compel every last person in the building with the same request as she had made to the bartender.

Once she was done she sat back at the bar, taking a sip of her whiskey. She eyed the bartender until they made eye contact and she flagged him over.

"Would you mind giving me a heads up when Ray shows up?" Madelyn compelled him once again.

"I don't mind," he said lazily.

"Thank you, dear." She lightly tapped his cheek and let him get back to work.

~

The bartender came back over to Madelyn a little after 5, refilling her glass with what was now her third whiskey. He stuck around for a bit until she finally looked up at him.

"Yes?" she said.

He looked a bit nervous. "Ray's here."

Madelyn looked towards the entrance to see a man in a gray tee and flannel walk in. To only further prove that the bartender was correct, another person in the bar greeted Ray.

"Hey, Red." Ray walked up on the left side of Madelyn as he greeted the bartender. "Can I get a beer?"

"Ray was it?" Madelyn asked. "My friend has told me about you."

"Oh, really?" Ray said. "Who's your friend?"

"Don't worry you'll meet him soon enough," she said with sinister smirk. "I know you know what I am, but that also means I know what you are. So, don't even think about trying to run because we both know I'll easily beat you. Just enjoy your drink. I'm paying."

The bartender set a beer in front of Ray right as he tried to run. Madelyn let him, trusting her senses that he wouldn't get far.

She was right.