iii. the end of the affair

Madelyn took a deep breath and smiled. It had been the happiest either of the men she kept as company had seen her since she joined their little adventure.

She loved Chicago, despite it's less than friendly crime rate that she may have contributed to in the past. She loved watching how it had developed over the years. More importantly, she loved the music it had brought throughout the decades.

"Glad to be back in the Windy City," Madelyn said. "Though, I wish it were under more... fun circumstances."

Klaus glared at the side of her face, which he could see clearly with her hair up in a messy bun.

"Now now, Nik. I can feel you staring."

Klaus rolled his eyes as he pulled into the storage unit he planned to keep his boxed up family in while they visited. All three of them got out of the car to watch the moving truck pull up.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan." Madelyn smirked at the younger vampire.

"What are we doing here?" he asked.

"I know how much you loved it here. You and Madelyn both," Klaus said. "Bringing back memories of your good old ripper days."

"Blacked out most of them," Stefan admitted. "A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

"Oh, but that's the best part. The details are what makes it legend," Madelyn said. "You were very talented with your words."

Stefan gave her a weird look and was about to ask what she meant when Klaus stamped his foot.

"Keep your pretty mouth shut, Madelyn," Klaus hissed. "You never tell the story quite as good as I."

CHICAGO, 1920s

Klaus and Madelyn sat in a booth in one of the corners of the speakeasy. His hand rested on her knee as nothing more than a friendly gesture. They didn't talk, just watched Rebekah move throughout the club to make sure no trouble brewed.

They watched as she took the last glass off a waiter's tray before another man could. The man Gloria— the speakeasy owner— had introduced to the rest of the club as Mr. Salvatore. Their interaction was tense, but it drew the man into the blonde beauty.

Madelyn smiled coyly at Rebekah as she made her way back to the table. "Salvatore's making eyes at you."

Rebekah just shrugged as she smirked into her newly acquired drink. Klaus's hand subconsciously tightened on Madelyn's knee, becoming the overprotective brother that was in his nature.

PRESENT DAY

"Chicago was magical," Klaus said.

Madelyn smirked. "I'll say."

"Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it," Stefan said. "Like I said, I don't remember most of it."

"I wonder why." Madelyn threw a look at Klaus.

Klaus ignored her. "Down to business, then?"

"Why am I still with you? We had our fun, your hybrids failed. I mean, don't you want to move on?" Stefan said.

"We're going to see my favorite witch," Klaus explained. "If anyone can help us with our hybrid problem, it's her."

"Not necessarily true. I mean, I know plenty of other witches who owe me a favor or two."

"And that want nothing to do with me, Madelyn," Klaus snapped. "Just 'cause they tolerate you doesn't mean they tolerate me."

"Right," she said meekly before ducking into the car.