vii. ghost world

Madelyn was sitting in her room at the Salvatore house, having nothing to do as Rebekah was dress shopping for homecoming in the next town over. That's why she got confused when someone knocked on her door, knowing that the Salvatore brothers would rather ignore her existence.

"Rebekah?" she called out. "Did you forget something?"

Madelyn opened her bedroom door to find no one standing on the other side. She frowned, going to close the door when she noticed a note stuck to it.

Find Bonnie.

Her frown only deepened as she noticed there was no name, but she vaguely recognized the handwriting. She peaked her head out of the room, looking around the hallway to no luck.

"Well, who am I to ignore some mysterious note."

~

Madelyn walked towards Caroline and Bonnie, only finding them after searching the town square and ending up compelling someone to tell her where to find the Bennett witch. 

Caroline noticed the vampire first. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for a certain Bennett witch," Madelyn said, not stopping in her stride until she reached them.

"Why would Bonnie talk to you?" 

"Just because Rebekah has it out for you, doesn't mean you need to be a bitch to me," Madelyn snarled.

"Relax," Bonnie interfered. "Madelyn is a friendly vampire to the witches. I trust her."

"Bonnie!" Caroline scolded. "Why?"

Bonnie and Madelyn shared a look. "I just do. You'll have to trust me on that."

"I know. I trust you, Bon, but I don't trust her."

"I think you're forgetting that I'm the one who found out how to save your boyfriend," Madelyn said.

"Maybe you only did that so Rebekah could get her claws into him," Caroline said.

Madelyn rolled her eyes. "I didn't know Rebekah was going to infiltrate your life like that, I swear."

"Okay, enough of this," Bonnie said. "What did you need?"

"I'm not really sure. This note was stuck to my door, but no signature and no one was around." Madelyn pulled out the note from her pocket handing it to Bonnie.

Bonnie looked at it, making sure there was nothing on the other side. "That's weird. This was all that was on your door?"

Madelyn nodded before smirking at Caroline. "Guess your stuck with me until we figure it out."

"What? No!" she protested.

"It'll be fine, Caroline. Let's just go." Bonnie reached down to grab her back, but it wasn't closed so everything spilled out of it. Bonnie sighed and moved to grab her fallen grimoire when it opened on its own without any wind.

"Okay, did your grimoire just..." Caroline trailed off. 

"I think so."

Bonnie bent down and grabbed the book examining the page. "It's a manifestation spell. It's used to reveal veiled matter."

"What's veiled matter?" Caroline asked.

"Ghosts," Madelyn answered, her eyes widening. "Looks like we just got one step closer to solving the problem."

~

"So this is where you brought Jeremy back to life," Caroline said as the three girls entered the dark and musty basement.