viii. ordinary people

Madelyn was frowning as she watched Rebekah with her new cheerleading squad. Her eyes followed the blond as she did a backhand spring and other tricks until she was coincidentally stood in front of the doppelganger, who had just arrived.

The younger vampire stayed put, listening in with her heightened senses. 

"You," Rebekah greeted. "Goody."

"I was hoping we could talk," Elena said.

"About what? Stefan? Or maybe how it seems that your witchy friend has corrupted Madelyn into doing her dirty work," Rebekah said. "I'm gone for one day and you brats are already stealing my friend."

"Actually, I'd rather talk about this." Elena held up some photos she had taken from her bag. "I'm curious why you and Klaus have spent a thousand years running from your father."

Rebekah faltered before dismissing Elena altogether. "I should get back to the girls. Homecoming's right around the corner."

"Well, then maybe I'll ask Mikael when we wake him," Elena said as the blond began to walk away. 

Rebekah paused in her tracks. "You're bluffing. You don't know where he is. No one does."

"So then who's rotting in that old cemetery in Charlotte?" Elena asked with a small smirk.

Madelyn's eyes widened slightly before regaining composure. She knew that cemetery. She had helped the witches find the spell to desiccate and entomb Mikael. She quickly tuned back into the conversation to hear what else Elena knew.

"If you wake Mikael, we are all doomed," Rebekah said. 

"So then tell me," Elena pressed.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Why don't you want me to wake him?"

Rebekah had a stare off with the girl before saying, "I need to get back to the girls." 

As Elena watched the Original walk away she caught Madelyn looking at her. The doppelganger narrowed her eyes before turning and retreating to her car. Before she could open the door, somebody put their hand on the handle, stopping her.

"Rebekah's right, Elena," Madelyn said. "You should not wake Mikael."

"You know about Mikael?" Elena asked.

Madelyn sighed. "I've run into him a few times, yes."

"Then you can tell me what they're so afraid of."

"I'm afraid it's not my place to tell. But maybe I can help with those Runic carvings you showed Bekah," Madelyn offered. "I may not have been a Viking, but I've picked up a few things from the Mikaelsons."

Elena seemed to contemplate her options as well as how Alaric and Damon would feel if she invited Madelyn along. "Fine. Hop in."

~

Madelyn rolled her eyes as she listened to Elena's phone call with Damon, following the doppelganger up the stairs to Alaric's apartment.

"She's going to tell me," Elena said. "She's scared of him, Damon. I saw her face. Madelyn can vouch for me."

"I mean, sure," Madelyn said.

"See," Elena said. "I just have to engage in a little mean-girl power struggle first."

"Make sure she doesn't power struggle you into a wheelchair," Damon said. 

"I've got this, Damon. If we can figure out a way to kill Klaus, Stefan will be free of his compulsion." Elena stepped into the apartment. "So how does he look?"