iv. disturbing behavior

"Oh, come on, Bekah," Madelyn said, taking a sip of the complementary champagne per mind compulsion. "You look absolutely stunning in all these outfits."

"But it's kind of short. Do you think Stefan will like it?" Rebekah asked.

Madelyn rolled her eyes. "Why don't you leave this dressing room and ask him yourself?"

Rebekah didn't seem to pick up on the sarcasm and did just as Madelyn had suggested, the brunette following behind after downing the last of her alcohol.

"Can I get another?" she asked an already compelled worker, who nodded and rushed to refill her glass.

"There has to be more to this dress," Rebekah said a little self-consciously, looking into a mirror.

"There's not," Madelyn said, pushing Rebekah into the eyes of the boys.

"So women in the 21st Century either dress like prostitutes or men, then," Rebekah said, giving Madelyn a small look at the last bit of her sentence. 

"Hey, I find a bit of offense to that," Madelyn said with a frown. "I wore trousers so women today could wear what you are right now. Be a little more grateful."

"And what is this music? It sounds like a cable car accident."

"It's dance music," Stefan said as Klaus let out an annoyed breath.

"People dance to this?"

"Are we done?" Klaus asked impatiently.

"And why are you so grumpy?" Rebekah asked condescendingly. 

"I needed one thing from you for my witch to find out why my hybrids are dying, one thing," Klaus said. "Your necklace. And you lost it."

Madelyn glanced at Stefan who was already looking at her, pleading with his eyes that she'd keep quiet. Her attention was switched to the worker from earlier with a new flute of champagne and she whispered out a, "Thank you, darling."

"I didn't lose it," Rebekah defended. "It's just been missing for 90 years. So what do you think?"

Rebekah did a little twirl, showing off her new outfit.

"I like it," Stefan said. Rebekah gave him an annoyed look. "What? I said I like it."

"I can always tell when you're lying, Stefan," Rebekah said, grabbing Madelyn's arm and marching back towards the dressing room.

"Nice one, good work," Klaus said.

"You're the one that pulled the dagger out of her," Stefan said.

"I heard that," she called back as Madelyn giggled.

~

Madelyn focused on Gloria as she sat in front of her grimoire in her bar, candles lit all around the room. The vampire had always been interested in magic since she learned who her real parents were, but that had been after she was already the monster she is now.

That didn't stop her from helping witches, befriending them. She was well respected amongst most covens because she never used them for her dirty work without offering something in return, and she never offered them up for the Mikaelsons to use.

In fact, she protected most witches from other supernatural creatures. In turn, the witches were indebted to her throughout generations, always helping when she asked. It's what made her an even better detective than she already was.

Her concentration on the older witch was broken when Rebekah spoke to Stefan, who just entered the bar.

"You left us," she said.