xi. all my children

Kol smiled down at the sleeping girl in his arms, admiring how she looked when she was truly at peace. Madelyn, feeling his gaze, smiled.

"Have you been awake all this time?" Kol teased.

"Maybe."

He kissed her forehead. "Come on, let's get some coffee."

"Good idea," Madelyn said, finally opening her eyes as she stretched. "I could use some caffeine."

The two of them got out of bed, managing to pull on their clothes before possibly facing his family. As they entered the living room where Klaus and Elijah were, so did Rebekah.

"Well, well, well," Kol said getting ready to tease his sister. "There's our girl."

Rebekah made way to get past her brother and to her room, but he just kept moving in front of her. "Get out of my way, Kol."

"Out all night. What a scandal."

"Kol, just leave it alone," Madelyn said, trying to tug him towards the kitchen, but he just couldn't help himself.

"I trust you did better than that commoner," he said. "Matt, was it?"

"If you don't shut your mouth, the next thing to come out of it will be your teeth," Rebekah threatened. 

As she finally pushed past Kol, she noticed her other brother smiling cheekily from his place on the couch. 

"Don't start, Nik," she said.

"I didn't say anything."

"I'm bored," Kol said, sitting down on the couch and make Madelyn give up any hope of getting coffee. "Our sister is a strumpet, but at least she's having fun. I need entertainment."

"Why don't you ask your girlfriend to occupy you," Klaus suggested.

"Although that sounds lovely, I was thinking more along the lines of a bite to eat."

"As long as it isn't any of Elena's friends," Madelyn said.

"Well, then I'll let you have first pick, darling," Kol said with a charming smile before looking back at his brother. "Would you like to join us, brother?"

Klaus closed his sketch book and put it on the coffee table. "I could use a drink."

"Splendid." Kol smirked before standing back up, grabbing Madelyn's hand, and heading for the door with his brother right behind him.

~

The three vampires walked into the Mystic Grill, heading straight for the bar. Alaric and his new lady friend, Meredith, happened to be sat there and the trio couldn't help but eavesdrop— something about a serial killer vampire.

"Ah, come on now," Klaus said. "Let's not go blaming the new family in town just 'cause you lot have got yourselves a killer at large."

Alaric simply stared at them, unamused.

"Don't mind us, Ric," Madelyn said. "We just came for a drink or two. Right, Kol?"

"Right." Kol smirked at the pair down the bar. 

Madelyn turned to the bartender with a flirtatious smile, making sure his eyes were on hers before compelling him. "We'll take three glasses of your finest whiskey with just a tad bit of your blood in each. Oh, and make it on the house."

The bartender replied almost robotically, "Coming right up."

Madelyn waved him off before looking to Kol, who was already smirking down at her. "Well done, love."