Chapter XVIII

As time went on, Camila and Orion did stay best friends, much to the king's displeasure.

However, at the age of sixteen, Dante began to search for suitresses to marry his son.

Orion hated the idea, feeling like he had no choice in his life at all. He felt trapped and depressed.

He went to the royal library after finding out about the suitresses, needing to calm himself down.

Camila was in her usual corner, reading a fairytale that she wished could be her life.

"Cami," Orion spoke when he saw her, pulling her from her fantasy delusions.

"Oh, hey, Orion!" Camila slipped a bookmark in and shut her book. "What's up?"

He plopped down and put his head in his hands. "My father... he... he arranged for royal and noble ladies to come to the palace this weekend... I'm gonna be choosing one of them to be my future wife..."

Camila felt her heart crumble. She knew that no matter how she felt, nothing would change. "Oh... well, maybe there will be someone that you actually find yourself connecting with."

"I highly doubt that," Orion scoffed as he looked up. "They're all spoiled and just want me for the title and money. I can never see myself connecting with that."

'I want you for so much more than that... but I can't have you...' Camila thought to herself as she subconsciously fiddled with her necklace.

"I just want to make my own choices! I want to be happy!" Orion leaned his head up as he let out an exasperated sigh.

A guard came up to the two and cleared his throat. "Your highness, the king has ordered that you return to your room to be fitted for the gala this weekend."

Orion groaned. "I can't even get a moment to myself anymore," he grumbled as he stood up. "I'm sorry, Cami. I'll see you later."

"See ya, Ori," Camila replied with a wave before watching him leave the library.

Tears pooled in her eyes as she looked down at her necklace. She still wore it every day.

Even though Orion told her that he couldn't marry her like they planned as children, she couldn't stop herself from falling in love with her best friend.

She couldn't tell him because she knew there would be no point. He had to marry someone of royal blood. Not a worthless servant girl like her.

She looked at the book in her hands and clutched it to her chest. It was her favorite book because the lowly peasant girl was able to make the prince fall in love with her and they got married, living happily ever after. It was the story she wished she had. The way she wanted her own story to end.

Michael came into the library to look for his sister after just getting off guard duty.

"Hey, sis!" He smiled as he came over before he frowned and quickly wrapped her in a hug. "Cami? What's wrong?"

"It's not fair... I love him..." Camila cried as she wrapped her arms around her older brother.

"What happened?" Michael asked, already knowing that his baby sister was over heels for the prince.

"H-he's choosing his future wife this weekend... the king is holding a gala for royal and noble women to come so Orion can choose his queen..." Camila explained as she trembled.

"I'm so sorry, Cami. If there was anything I could do, you know I would do it," Michael comforted as he stroked her hair.

"It's not fair... w-we were supposed to get married one day... I can't watch him marry a girl that will never be able to love him as much as I do. And it scares me that maybe he will find a suitress that he falls in love with..." The girl sobbed as she clutched onto her brother tight.