Chapter 2: Don't Be Chicken

In the following weeks, Nora explored. Sometimes, she tried meeting up with Disney groups, but the groups were big and made it difficult to do anything, or the people were too close to really let anyone else join and made her feel awkward, which wasn't something she was used to. That, or they boasted of how "Disney" they were. How often they came, how much Disney knowledge they knew, and they seemed to treat her a bit like a toddler for being such a noob. Not all the groups were like that, but the few people she did like were overpowered by the ones she didn't, and it wasn't a good enough experience for her to keep meeting up with them. Especially right now, when she wanted to experience everything for herself, without everyone's opinions and facts drowning out the experience of simply, well, experiencing.

She dabbled in each of the parks, trying to bring her own snacks with her in a little backpack to save money, or eating before she came, though she normally did try a new snack each time. It's not like she went every day. A few times a week, sure. Usually whenever she had a few spare hours after homework, she'd go. It wasn't far away, after all. And she'd earned it. And it was less time to be around her obnoxious, judgmental sister.

Nora began comprising a list of all the things she liked about Disney, from obscure to obvious.

She liked the way the trees loomed over the AT-AT right in front of Star Tours at Hollywood Studios. The painting of Jack-Jack breaking through the wall at the Pixar Place. How shiny Slinky was, the color of everything in Toy Story Land and how it popped against the baby blue sky. The way the Hollywood Tower lobby music drifted like a ghost out of time, somehow classy yet disjointed, foreshadowing the thrill to come. She loved the magic of Fantasmic and how Cast Members bopped around to super old Disney classics sung by old Disney Channel songs decades ago, before her time. And, oh, the way the snake's eyes flashed out of the pure darkness as its entire body illuminated onstage. Yes, yes, yes.

And Epcot. Epcot was sleek. Efficient. Colorful. She loved the smooth exterior of the monorails looping around the park, their design so futuristic yet modern. The Innovations music was optimistic, inviting you to have a magical day. The Fountain of Nations was constantly in motion, and Spaceship Earth dwarfed everything, its silvery, moon-like surface forever gleaming and glowing, even at night. Technology, nature, world, all in one.

She liked standing with one foot in each country, especially the ones that weren't close to each other at all, so that she could say why yes, she has been to Japan and Morocco at the same time. Nora wasn't much of an actual world traveler, but she was mesmerized by the stores, the food, the people.

Japan held all of her anime girl dreams, her Pokémon, while Italy hit on her artistic, carb-loving side. France was romantic, Canada was beautiful, Germany had whimsy, and the UK was the perfect opportunity to speak in a British accent for no reason. Mexico had the best indoor shop, making her feel like a wild teenager set to fiesta all night, Norway gave her a respectful historic vibe for things of the past, the United States, well, hit on her patriotism, especially with the Voices of Liberty's gorgeous singing and funnel cakes. Definitely the funnel cakes.

Morocco was in itself something so foreign and exotic that it felt like a secret new world and China? China was her favorite. The circular architecture of the theater. The honor and respect of its Cast Members. The adorable marionettes she desperately wanted to buy. And the Chinese Acrobats—so talented. And flexible.

IllumiNations tied it all together each night. If she was at Epcot at night, she saw IllumiNations every single time. And it was forever and always amazing.

Animal Kingdom was like a safari, but so much more. She loved Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical, watching their gorgeous performances. She liked the rumble of the safari truck, the crackle over the speaker as their Cast Member told them all about the animals they drove by, each time learning new facts. She liked finding the giant flower that spits on people in Pandora, the quiet boat ride through a foreign, alien planet, those little sea anemone woodsprites floating in the air, the movement of vegetation as animals jumped from leaf to leaf above your head, the ingenuity of the shaman. The pump of wings and lungs of your banshee, the spray of water and gusts of wind. Everything, so perfectly beautiful. The park was a celebration of life and she felt alive there.