Chapter 6: You're Off the Edge of the Map, Mate

Nora's leg jittered up and down underneath the table, worse than Piglet confronting heffalumps. Someone tapped her shoulder, sending her rocketing out of her chair.

"Wow. Someone is a little on edge today," Maddie said, going for an arm pat instead of what Nora was sure was supposed to be a hug.

Nora sank back into her chair, cheeks prickling. "Sorry. I wasn't expecting a sneak attack."

Maddie sat opposite of her, resting her head on her fist. "Yeah, I'm usually not a sneak attack kind of girl."

She sat her backpack on the ground, getting comfortable. They were in one of the lounges on campus. There weren't many students here today considering it was Saturday. The ones who were on campus were huddled at tables, studying, though Nora didn't know how they got anything done in groups with how much talking there was. It wasn't exactly a library.

Nora met her eyes, finding Maddie beaming. "What?"

"I'm so glad we could finally hang out! Thanks so much for meeting up with me."

"No problem."

Maddie leaned forward. "So, what's been going on in your life?"

Nora's hands clenched in her lap. "Um, just same old. Busy with classes."

"What else?"

"Uh, you know. Adjusting from moving here."

"Oh, yeah? I'm not from here originally either. Where are you from?"

"Pennsylvania."

"Well, this must be totally different from you. I'm from Texas. Did you move here by yourself, or is your family here?"

Nora fidgeted. "Family."

"Why the move?"

"My dad got a new job."

"Same! Everyone's been really nice here. Plus it's Orlando, so there's so much to do." Maddie tapped her fingers on the table to an unheard rhythm. "So, what else is going on in life?"

I just made my first ever Disney friend, things are looking up in that arena, but also I'm a bit too obsessed with Jack Sparrow right now...help? "That's it."

There has to be more to you than that. I promise I'm not trying to be a therapist. I just want to get to know you better." After Nora's lips went tight, Maddie asked, "Favorite food?"

"Cinnamon rolls."

"Mine's chicken fingers. Favorite season?"

"Spring."

"Summer, except for the heat but oh well. Favorite artist?"

"Don't really have one."

"Van Gogh."

"I thought you meant music."

Maddie grinned. "I did. It was a joke. Favorite Disney movie?"

Nora's eyes widened slightly. At least less people made fun of you for watching Disney than going there. "How can someone have a favorite? There are so many."

"I know," Maddie said sympathetically. "I think I'll go with...Tangled?"

Nora bit her lip. "That's probably in my top five. I'll go with Pirates."

Maddie smacked the table. "Dang it, I forgot all about Pirates. Which one?"

"The first, of course."

"Yeah, Captain Jack is something else, isn't he?"