chapter 2: What is demon breathing?

~~present day~~

Shinobu pov

I was walking around the butterfly sanctuary watching as they fluttered around the building and landed on small flowers. As I went to the back of the building I watched as a large blob of black mass started to flow like water in front of a small pool of the same black mass.

"Y/N, are you practicing again?!" I yelled, getting her attention. The ball stopped moving as she looked up at me. She wore a black star pattern kimono over the demon slayer uniform.

"O-oh yes ma'am! I'm getting a lot better with demon art!" she said with a wide smile. We had found her in a town far from here. Well she was sent to us since she couldn't fend off the demon near her. When she came though we noticed that she can mimic the demon art that she sees. She came up with the name demon breathing. Ever since she's been trying to perfect the moves she learns to the point it's not just a mimic.

"I can see that you're really making it your own style!" I said putting my hands together.

"Thank you ma'am I've been practicing it all day and I think I've gotten the hang of it." she said as the ball stopped and solidified into a staff and formed a long double bladed scythe one blade on the top of the staff and on at the bottom.

"I see. May I ask how that's effective for you?" I asked

"Umm, the way I see it is. It's more for long range attacks. I call it demon breath first from demon blade." she said, spinning the staff around her back and it faded away. I smiled and nodded as she let the water-like substance disperse like it was never there. I looked back at her face to find it almost numb as she rubbed her shoulder.

"Are you okay Y/N? You look like you're zoned out?" I asked, snapping her back to reality.

"O-oh I'm fine just remembered what today was all." she said looking down at her feet.

"Oh mind telling me? As I recall I don't really think you explained how you got this far on foot.'' I said calmly.

"Sure. I came here from a small town but it was whipped out by a demon that lived in a cave close by. If it wasn't for a strange man I wouldn't be alive today.... I never truly thanked him for saving me." she said going over and sitting on the deck while holding her shoulder again.

"Is your shoulder causing you pain?" I asked

"Oh no I'm f-"

"KAAH KAAH!! HIGHER RANK DEMON SLAYERS NEEDED TO THE MOUNTAINS DUE EAST! KAAH KAAH" the crow yelled, circling around us from above.

"Looks like the demon on the mountain is more trouble than they can handle." I said with a sigh as we went to the master. Y/N walked with me but couldn't go inside so she waited for me outside the room. While meeting up with master, Giyuu joined me as well, seeing how we were the only two Hasirah still at our base. As we entered the room we bowed to the master and took a seat.

"More of my children are being killed as we speak. You two.. Will you help my children." he said in his soft tone.

"Of course master." we said in unison.

"You both are dismissed." he said as we both stood up and exited his room. Y/N saw us leaving and walked over to us.

"Can I come with you? I want to help this time." she said, looking at me. I turned to Giyuu and he gave a nod seeing how she does have her own swords. She put it at her hip as we started running to the far mountain as fast as we could go.

Y/N pov

I was able to keep the same pace as both Shinobu and Giyuu but was struggling at times. I started to focus on the auras as we got closer to the mountain. I could find multiple good auras that were ours but a few that were murderous. It had to have been the demons on the mountain. As we ran I could tell there were some of the demon slayers covered in thin webs killing each other. I ran through cutting the strands and opening a black swamp to catch whatever was holding on to them. The few I didn't catch and saw crawl away. They were small spiders that were hard to see at a first glance.