Chapter 2

You are positioned back in your cell. You were fed and watered, like a dog. Zeke is going to be monitoring you. He had not turned up, not yet at least. With no source of light and no clock there was no way of telling the time. By how many times the guards have given you food you could tell days had passed, maybe even a week.

You will admit they were nice enough to give you medical aid. Your head needed stitches. They told you a glass object came into contact with your head, and the blunt force caused you to become unconscious.

"Hello Y/N!" it was Pieck, you mumble a hello back, "Zeke told me to look after you today." you pulls out a ket from her skirt pocket. Before she could place the key in the lock, she was stopped by Galliard.

"Don't seem so happy to see a devil."

"Come on Porco, Zeke asked us," Pieck turns her attention back to you, "first things first, we need to get you out of that uniform."

She points to the green jacket you are wearing, there is a crest. A set of wings over your heart. 

Wings of Freedom

You wish you knew what it meant. By looking at it you knew there was seem meaning behind it. Maybe it was a family crest?

You rise from the cell bed. Looking at your hands you could tell they were sickly. Lost its' colour. 

Galliard unlocks your cage. You hold your hands out towards him. He looks at you, his eyes filled with confusion and disgust.

"What?" He quickly smacks your hands away.

"Aren't you going to handcuff me?" Galliard turns away from you, so you look at Pieck, "well?"

"You've got no where to run." she smiles.

"I could run, I am a Titan shifter." You know you cannot shift, everything is wiped from your memory. Galliard see's right through your facade.

"Do you even know how to shift?" Galliard snarls. You quickly lower your head, "I'll take that as a no." he smirks. It is the first time you have ever seen him smiles.

"For someone to shift, hypothetically, don't you need to harm yourself in some sort of way?"

'Am I remembering something' 

"Yes." Galliard scoffs, he really is not paying attention to you.

"So if I-" you bring your hand up to your mouth, ready to bite it, "if I did that I would shift?" Galliard looks at you, appalled.

"Even a paper cut can trigger a shift, but you have to be willing." he explains.

Pieck puts and arm around you. She guides you out of the prison and into the street. Galliard follows a few paces behind, straying away from Piecks constant chatter. 

Soldiers line the buildings all around. Cadets march in sections, constantly being shouted at by squad leaders. Some chat at the side, distinctly on break.

There is one thing that stands out against the tall buildings and shops windows. It's the few red and yellow armbands. The colours that make up fire. Then what seems to be regular citizens wear white. Pure like snow.

"Pieck?" She looks at you, "what are the armbands?"

"Yellow one is used to identify Warrior Cadets. And Red means that an Eldian is an Official Marleyan, giving them same rights as Marleyans', as they've gave their lives and souls to Marley. We both have red armbands as we each posses a Titan and our families have red as our Warrior status uplifts them. Eldian military uniform is similar to Marleyan. With minor differences. Marleyan caps have a solid black line, as Eldians' have a white line with an Eldian star on it. Regular Eldian citizens where brown armbands and Soldiers where white"

(I don't know if I got the entire armband thing right. Please feel free to correct me)

"Why are they separated?" Galliard walks beside you. You believe he is trying to use his height to intimidate you.

"Eldians are scum."

You notice his red armband. He is an honorary Marleyan. You deduced that he is Eldian himself. You are conflicted by this matter. This goes way beyond classism. This is a different sort of messed up. There are so many levels of class. One could be a rich Eldian but never make it past a poor Marleyan.

"Hush now Porco." Pieck thwacks him on the back of the head.

"You're so childish!" Galliard exclaims, "you ruined my hair." he bends down and looks in one of the shop windows trying to fix the mess.

"Not even a miracle could make his hair better." your snarky remark makes Pieck laugh. Galliard hears. He stops fiddling with his hair and approaches you.

"KNOW YOUR PLACE ISLAND DEVIL."

His sudden shouting causes you to become silent. His sudden shouting drags attention to you from citizens and soldiers. Two soldiers come up to the three of you. They seem different, they are guards.

"Pieck, Porco back so soon." one remarks, the other looks at you.

"Haven't seen this one before," the guard then drifts his gaze to your arm, "no band either." his gaze was making you feel uncomfortable.

"They were attacked, we're going to clean them up and replace the armband right away sir." Galliard looks down at you and smiles. a fake smile. Just a facade.

The man who questioned you scratches the back of his head and kindly smiles, "of course sorry."

The guards allow you to pass. You walk through a gate into a new area. This area seemed different, more of a confinement area to the houses you passed before. A sign catches your attention, you spell it out to yourself.

"Don't tell me Amnesia has made you forgotten how to read." Galliard stuffs his hands in his white jacket pockets. You quickly shake your head embarrassed.

"Look they're all flustered." Pieck coos as she leads you down a side street.

She brings a key out of her pocket and opens a door. You suspect this is her home. She allows you to walk in first. As you are walking forward further into the house, you hear the door slam and an angry voice on the other side yell.

"Oi Pieck!"

Galliard had tried to follow you both in but Pieck had slammed the door in his face. 

"Go fight with Reiner or something, I'm going to get L/N changed out this uniform."

Pieck holds your wrist and leads you into her room. She turns to her wardrobe and looks out a couple of items. Pieck sighs heavily holding various armbands: white, red and brown. You can tell she is struggling to fit you into a category.

You could be red because you are a Titan Shifter, you could be white as you are within military custody or you could be branded with a brown armband as you are just a civilian from an unknown city.

The clothing in your arms reminds you of warmth and love. It was strange a soldier being kind to a prisoner.

"Pieck?" she raises her eyebrow, "why are you being so kind to me. I don't understand, I thought I was an Island Devil?" she puts down the bands and joins you sitting on the bed.

"Well, Y/N, I don't really know. You just seem interesting!" you tilt your head in confusion, "you turn up on one of our boats, unconscious and Reiner identifies you as an Island Devil! It's just all so exciting." she dramatically shakes you.

You are still quiet.

"Plus, Riner, Colt, Zeke and Reiner are nice to have around but they're typical boys. You seem the type I can open up to easily."

Pieck leaves you in the room to get changed. As you pull up the armband on your left arm you think: Pieck is strange. There is no way someone would open up that quickly to a stranger, especially not a stranger from Paradis Island.

Even though you suspect Pieck is faking the new-found-friendship, it still felt warm and homely.