Chapter 17

Walking down the stairs to the cellars, you realise one thing: the prison is just the same as Marley. Not the same layout, colour or rats but, the terrible condition the which it inhabitants live. The walls are damp and the air chilly, just like your cell in Marley.

'L/N, what brings you here?' a guard asks.

'I'm here to see the prisoners, the ones that killed Sasha.' they flinch at your forwardness. You wonder whether the other sections know that you do not have your memory. They would probably take advantage, at least a couple from the military police Armin had warned you of.

'Very well.' the guard leads you further down the hall, passing many empty cells.

'I thought there would be more imprisonned.' you comment.

'There are more imprisonned elsewhere,' they turn to you, walking backwards to continue the conversation, 'the only prisoners here are Yaeger, and the two children.'

'Zeke Yaeger?' you question.

'Eren.' you nod at the guards answer.

Eren is the titan shifter that you met in Marley, the one with the lost leg and the bandaged, the one who killed many civilians including Udo and Zofia. He was also ready to kill you that night.

'By any chance do you know where Zeke is?'

'Weren't you told?' They look you in the eye, speculating whether to tell you or not, 'He's with Levi in-'

"Ah- I remember now, must've slipped my mind." You lightly scratch the back of your head. You were not told, part of you feels offended on the contrary Hange could be worried that Zeke might 'manipulate' you. After all, he is cunning and deceitful for example you spent together in Marley and you had no idea he was working with Paradis Devils.

There's no way I'm getting to Zeke if Levi is present.

The guard haunts, you have arrived at your destination.

'You have a visitor.' they say harshly.

'I can see that devil.' Gabi hisses. Falco stays quiet, scared out of his mind.

'I know it's asking a lot but, can I have some privacy.'

'Very well.' the gaurd salutes, walking past their original post and returning above ground.

Gabi and Falco are sitting in the corner. Falco faces you from and distance and Gabi faces the wall. You've lost their trust.

'I'm sorry.' you kneel down, holding onto the bar and whispering through.

'GO AWAY!' Gabi yells.

'I'm sorry.' you repeat, 'I'M SORRY! I should've been more careful, to protect you, but listen to me... listen, I will not let anything more happen to you.'

'Y/N!' Falco cries as he runs to you, grasping onto the bars, 'I'm scared. I want to go home.'

'Have you lost your mind Falco!' Gabi grabs his collar, 'we have been training for this out whole lives!'

Gabi is right, they have been training for this. You watched them in Marley, and you helped them learn. You personally taught them, handed down some of your tricks.

'HEY!' you grab their attention, 'like it or not you're stuck here and you must go back to Marley, only the devil knows what will happen to you if you stay.'

'Will you come with us?' Falco asks.

'No-'

'But you just said you'd protect us' more tears form in his eyes.

'Who cares, Y/N has abandoned us to join the devils.' Gabi spits in your face.

You take the sleeve of your green coat and wipe the saliva off your cheek. Through the bars you grab Gabi's hand, she tries to push you off, however she is too weak.

'Leave me here.' you smile lightly as you place the cell key in her hand.

You get up and leave, ignoring the shouting from the children.

'Y/N!' a voice cries, 'Y/N SAVE YOURSELF,' a woman shoves you away, 'LEAVE ME!' her voice strains and cracks as she begs you to leave.

The woman in front of you is bed bound, her legs not working and her face a sickly pale green.

'You always said you'd protect me.' you cry a stream of tears.

'Leave me here...' her voice trickles off.

You run out the house into the streets overrun by titans.

'Hey you can come back down and guard the prisoners,' you call to the guard, when they approach you they look anxious, almost sick, 'what's wrong?'

'The key, it's missing!' they grab your shoulders in a frenzy.

'What?' you worry, thinking the guard would suspect you.

'Have you seen it.'

Oh fuck...

'I must've dropped it,' the guard falls to their knees searching around the dusty floor, 'did you see it walking back?' the guard looks up at you with terrified eyes.

'No, I haven't sorry.' you walk away from the guard smiling inwardly.