Chapter 8

"There's a festival," is all you caught from the meeting. In between your sleepless night and a growing headache, Zekes' voice is the last thing you want to listen to, "Magath has informed me to be on guard, he suspects the Island Devils will be up to something."

Reiner starts to inform the warriors of members of the Scouts and their specialities.

"What about Levi?" you cough.

"You remember him?" Reiners brows rise.

Zeke sighs, "You are supposed to report to me once you remember anything," his eyebrows nit together as he tries to hide his anger, " did you remember anything useful?"

"Just his name." your voice only comes out as a meek whisper. Zeke nods at Reiner to continue.

"Levi Ackerman is one to look out for," Reiners sudden serious sends shivers down everyones spine, "Back on Paradis, he solely brought the Beast Titan to his knees with two swords. His short stature does not represent him well as a soldier so do not underestimate him."

"I could take him." Galliard grumbles as he rakes his hands through his hair.

No matter how hard you think, you cannot concoct an image of Levi.

"We should go and help set up!" Pieck stands, the mood lightening with her, "Come on Y/N!"

She seizes your hand and practicaly drags you out the meeting.

"Pieck!" you screech as she pulls you down the stairs, "slow down!"

"Marco slow down!"

Pieck stops running as soon as she sees your face change.

"You alright, Y/N?"

You nod, then force a smile. Once more, Pieck starts dragging you towards the festival, weaving through civilians and children. Some point at you both, running like mad-men or perhaps excited children, scowling at the warriors acting unprofessional.

For the next hours of daylight you and all the warriors helped move beams of wood, carry banners and put together stalls and seats. Throughout the day you all laughed, and smiled together.

You make your way over to Reiner who is leaning again a wooden plated box. Jumping up you sit next to him, sitting on the box nearly brought you level with his eyes.

"Reiner?"

"Yes?" He turns his head slightly towards you, but not more than he needs to.

"I remember something," you look down, not wanting to meet his eye, "well, just a name." you pause, hesitant to say the name.

"Well?"

"Marco." your voice only comes out as a whisper, though a whisper loud enough for Reiner to hear.

Reiner stands there, staring at the ground. There's a traumatised look in his eyes. You can only imagine what he saw.

"Sorry, I should've kept my mouth shut." You stand to leave, suddenly Reiner puts a hand on your shoulder.

"It's not your fault, you're curious," he smiles, "you want to find where you fit in, but I'm afraid it's not here. That armband is the only thing saving you from being ripped to shreds."

You glance at the red band attached to the arm, "I know."

"You know, once this is over we should throw a festival."

"Really, a festival?"

"Yes! There would be dancing, music and food."

"MEAT!"

"Well what else would there be."

Everyone around laughs, even the Captain with his tea.

"Marco was kind," Reiner starts, "he looked out for everyone."

"I didn't hear him being mentioned in the meeting earlier."

"He's dead. Died a long time ago, when the colossal Titan attacked for a second time."

"Am I right in saying Armin Arlet holds the Colossal Titan."

"Yes, he stole it from us, and Eren Yaeger stole the founding Titan. And it is our duty to regain them."