Chapter 18

You sit anxiously, wondering if Falco and Gabi got away safely. They might be far away from their cell and trying to contact the Marleyan warriors to escape the island.

"Y/N!" Jean grabs your attention, "stop spacing out and pay attention. This is important."

"Jean..." Armin sighs, "we're only ordering food."

"I know! But I need full concentration," Jean scratches his facial hair, you couldn't really call it a beard, "Y/N what would you like?"

You shrug at his question. This was your first time eating at such a place on Paradise Island. It seems nice. From what you could tell this place was quite low-class compared to the surrounding buildings. This restaurant had a wooden exterior, with wooden beams holding up the roof. The old lady in front of you stands with a notebook and pen in her hand, ready to scribble down your order.

"What would you like, Dear?" she asks leaning closer, so close you can smell fish batter off her.

"I-" you fumble over your words, unsure what to say.

"I'll just order your usual then." Jean smiles lightly. The old lady nods, scribbles it down and then scurries off.

"Y/N remind me why you like this place."

"It reminds me of a little place in Shiganshina."

You turn to Armin who is staring forward, "Didn't your mother ever tell you it is rude to stare?" he only gives a sad smile in return, "Is Mikasa and Eren coming?" he shakes his head, "why not, it'd be good for them to come out."

"Eren's locked up and Mikasa refuses to leave his side."

Wrong move.

"Sorry-" you turn your gaze away from him and rub your forearm guiltily, trying to comfort yourself.

"Don't be sorry Y/N, this isn't you fault." he waves his hands frantically, and laughs awkwardly. He returns to his original position facing forward, staring into the abyss.

You thought this place would be bustling, but instead it was just the three of you, plus the catering staff. Jean keeps telling you that if Levi and Hange were free they would join us as well. That is not the case though. Levi is cooped up in the forest with Zeke - that fucking traitor - and Hange is locked up working, doing whatever paperwork that needs to be done.

"Right! Here's your usual," the waitress places a dish down in front of you, clearly presentation was not their strongest suite, "I have to say, it's wonderful to see you again. What has it been? Nearly two years?"

"It must be something like that." you tilt you head, trying to be sincere. Your mind is still confused who to trust; Marleyans or Paradise Devils.

Jean takes no time dig into his meal, "I've missed this!"

"You came here yesterday with Connie." Armin says plainly, something clearly on his mind.

"What's up with you. You're quiet, I mean you're usually quiet but this is more quiet than usual, like more-er-er quieter than usual."

"You learnt grammar for a reason Jean, use it."

"Do you want to go?!" Jean roles up his sleeves jokingly, getting ready for an arm wrestle.

"Do you really want to do that to a Titan shifter?" You smirk, tilting your head, teasing him, "Armin do you mind."

He sighs and clears enough space on the table for you and Jean to battle it out. Jean takes your hand in his, placing his elbow onto the table. Armin holds both your hands steady.

"3...2...1... go." as soon as Armin says 'go' Jeans hand is already on the table, defeated.

"YOU CHEATED!" Jean accuses. You gasp dramatically.

"I would do nothing of the sorts. You're just weak." You laugh.

"Say Y/N, shouldn't you eat instead of insult me."

You look down at the full plate in front of you. Picking up the cutlery you take a slice of the meat and eat it.

"Y/N, THIS IS SO GOOD! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT." Sasha takes a fork and shoves a slice into your mouth.

"HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING!" You barely chew the slice before you are shovelling more down your throat.

"Sasha, Y/N chew your food." Mikasa scolds.

"YEAH-" Connie shouts with his mouth full, meat spurting from his mouth. A bit lands in front of Levi and he scoffs, Hange laughs at him with their beer in hand.

"Connie you too."

You and Sasha continue to share until the last slice.

"You have the last slice Y/N."

"No you."

"No you."

You continue to bicker back and forth unable to decide who is to have it. That is until Sasha grabs the slice of meat and forces it into your mouth.

"Y/N," Jean sings, "Armin do something, they've stopped mid bite. They've usually finished a plate by now and onto their second."

"That's true."

You stare down at your plate, looking at the meat.

"Sasha..." you whimper, "I remember Shasha-" you are cut off by a sob that arises in your chest.

"Oh Y/N..." Armin hushes as he comes closer.

"What have I done?" You cry more and more, the two boys are unable to console you.

Armin has a sudden realisation, "Do you remember anything else?" he grabs you to face him, "Anything at all?" His blue eyes turn into a storm, they run wild like the wind. The eyes of someone able to kill.

All you can do is shake your head.

"Armin, they don't remember you, drop it." Jean pushes him back and consoles you.