𝐕, 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐃𝐀𝐖𝐍

"YOU'RE HOPELESS, YOU KNOW THAT? COMPLETELY AND ENTIRELY HOPELESS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU LIVED TO THREE LET ALONE TWENTY-THREE."

"Just a bit of magic on my part," I teased. "You didn't need to come, Chrissy. I promised you it was an accident! People make mistakes. I'm only human," I sang at the end.

"No, you're a literal alien." She made a fake noise of disgust before adding, "I was fucking an extraterrestrial being last year. Do you have blue skin? We'll never know because you won't update me on your location correctly. As we planned."

I laughed and drank a swig of her water cup. "Blue skin wouldn't stop you, Chrissy, you're freaky like that."

She rolled her eyes and took back her cup. "Whatever. Now I'm in Italy with you, probably going to be living her for a while if what you're saying about this little job of yours is true. Secretary for some rich Italian folk who get their money off of innocent tourists."

"It's not as bad as you make it out to be. Look, Chrissy, they're paying me a shit ton to do this job. Carlisle doesn't expect me back for a few months and I have to make bank whatever way I can."

It was a lie. A full on, really dumb lie. But when you get talking with your 'guard' and offer yourself to service the castle in whatever way possible because you feel guilty that they're spending money on you... Well, you lie to your ex girlfriend and pray she doesn't call you out on your bullshit.

I mean, I can't just sit my butt around and do nothing while in Italy... can I? Maybe, but that's no fun, and working for these men can't be the worst. Carlisle will forgive me.

Yeah, she wasn't impressed at all. No stories I could weave around made this sound any better. But instead of debating me, she dragged her luggage into the middle of the corridor. Guiding her through the mass of people who were now staring at the both of us, we made our way into the suite rooms that Marcus gave us.

"So like are these guys in business with Bill Gates or something?" I shrugged. Chrissy weakly beat my shoulder with a book. "Damn you for dragging me into this shit with you when you don't even know who these people are or what they do. For all we know, they could be ghouls looking to eat us or something."

The worst I thought they could be was cult leaders. Wouldn't put it past me to get involved with one of those.

Yet Aro is so kind to me. I mean, who gives a girl you just met a tiara probably worth millions? A rich guy, sure, but a nice rich guy, right?

Right. He even called me adorable. Hah! Take that - someone finds me adorable.

"Why are you looking at the floor like that?" Chrissy questioned. "God, you - River. Your cheeks are bright red. What were you thinking about, you freak?"

I sputtered for a second before shaking my head. "Nothing, nothing Chrissy. Start unpacking. I think my new bosses want to meet with me tonight."

Truth be told, nothing can be hidden from Chrissy for long. Secrets are stupid when you've done just about everything with someone. If only she knew about what Aro gave me today. She wouldn't be so worried if she saw how pretty that tiara is, I thought.