𝐈𝐗, 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐍

"DON'T YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW UNPROFESSIONAL IT IS TO RECIEVE FLOWERS FROM YOUR BOSS?"

Chrissy came into my view at once. I was in our shared suite toying around with the tiara Aro had gifted to me less than a week ago. Her question caught me off guard. A short shiver ran down from my head to the base of my spine as her words sunk in.

No, I didn't, actually. Plenty of bosses have given me presents in the past. Sure, not a fancy vase with flowers, but something for my work. Oftentimes a parting gift.

"It's not that big a deal, Chrissy. Plus, I don't even know which boss they came from." She gave me a haunting look. "The note was stolen."

An exasperated sigh came from my ex-girlfriend as she pounded her hand against the wall a bit too harshly.

"No note, vase of flowers. We could've figured this all out by now without your running away from the problems I point out. How do you find this -" Chrissy paused for a second, "- pleasing behavior to surround yourself with?" she asked rather cruelly. "River, you cannot possibly find any of these men making a move on you as attractive. They're old, likely married, and trust funded since their birth."

"They're not old. Aro's likely the oldest and can't be older than thirty," I pointed out.

Came her second remark on their attractiveness even I hadn't glossed over in my brain. Why does that matter so much to Chrissy? Does she fear I have feelings for my own bosses? All three of them, or just one.

"You're giving me the look." I could tell she dreaded every word that was flowing from her full lips. "Like last time. That damned expression again. Face all stupidly flushed with the twinkle in your right eye. Damn you, River."

"I don't have a twinkle in my eye," I denied. "None at all. I don't have feelings for my bosses, Chrissy. Yeah, they look like Greek gods, but so does everyone else who works with me."

Chrissy let out another sigh. I could tell she was holding herself back from saying something offensive.

"You don't even realize it yet. It's so obvious to everyone around you except for you that you're starting on a path that..." She looked down at the ground before returning to glare at me, "...will end up getting you in the same position as you were in six months ago."

My chest tightened at the mention of our past. Using that against me, it really hurt. That stung. Not being able to escape someone who claims to love you, who says they want the best for you. When that person drains every ounce of your self worth while saying they're making you into your perfect self... That isn't what this job is.

"I'm not going to be trapped ever again, do you understand?" I seethed.

A losing argument, this was, and I didn't want to be a part of it any longer. So what if Chrissy didn't believe me? A spout of her paranoia is just like a weed that will be pulled up with a logical wind. I'll just wait and give her that air to calm down. I need it myself.