𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈, 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐀𝐖

THE ENTIRE GUARD POPULATION WERE FREEING THEMSELVES FROM THE SHACKLES OF THE OUTER WALLS TO PROTECT THE BALLROOM

It was beautiful, though many changes had to be changed to fit the standards set in the law books Marcus and Aro wrote once upon a time. We had to have seating, as well as the correct tables so one of the guards could list out exactly what was said on both sides. We had two of them during this hearing, considering just how many people were in the ballroom.

The place reminded me of a TV show, like a set that wasn't supposed to be used for real things. You could still see how this was a gaudy ballroom meant for the elite class to dance and have a good time. From what I was told, they hadn't used the room for many things in the past few centuries. Humans would take notice of these private events. The conspiracy theorists would throw a tantrum.

We all had to dress accordingly, which meant I was wearing my hair up and out of my face. I wore a long black dress with a Volturi pendant around my neck to signify that I was indeed a member of the Coven. It was pure gold and beautiful.

Renata was going to be guarding me, considering her gift would be crucial in case someone wanted to attack me. Key word: wanted, because they couldn't.

"Are you ready for this, River?" Luna asked as she walked into the ballroom. "First hearing is the worst."

"I'm ready," I responded, knowing that was fully a lie.

I'd never actually gotten any training when it came to the law. I was studying to potentially become a nurse or somewhere in the health field. Law and politics were not exactly my area of expertise. I wasn't a part of the speech and debate team, most of those kids were kind of annoying.

"I know you'll do great," she encouraged, "This is land and territory plus a human needed to be turned. There's not that much to it."

God, I wish that were the case. That just wasn't... It wouldn't be easy. Aro and Caius were not happy with the Cullens, Marcus was more sympathetic but only had me to counteract anything that they wanted. That would mean a tie... we needed to be seen as a unit rather than four people with their own personal agendas.

The guards came first. I was the first one in the room, but my boyfriends came in soon after. They were clearly ready for this. They'd been through this so many times. Hearing after hearing, trial after trial. They'd traveled for trials before!

I sat down in the chair that had been provided for me, right next to Marcus. We had a little vase of flowers on the table. They were pretty, and must have come from the garden. Purple hyacinth, one of my favorites for arrangements.

Marcus had a solemn look on his face that I hadn't seen for a while. He'd been happier in the past few weeks, from what I'd seen, but I understood why he wasn't now. He didn't want to have this hearing now, while Andrei was on the loose. He felt the need to protect his people.