𝐂.35

the teddy bear

SO THERE'S A MOMENT IN EVERY KID'S LIFE when you feel like anything's possible

SO THERE'S A MOMENT IN EVERY KID'S LIFE when you feel like anything's possible. When you feel like you've got the total mojo. You could, I don't know, free-climb El Capitan, land on Mars, or uh... get elected president. The whole world's there for the taking if you've got the sack to go for it. And then, when you least expect it, some Kook shows up and tells you there's no eternal mystery. And then all that talk about free climbing and Mars and the president... bullshit. Magic gets cancer and dies.

Marty looks over at John B's face, watching as his face drops into a dead stare. "It's not there. Look, just— just pull the drone up." His voice drops to match his disappointed tone as another thunder crackles in the sky.

"Look, we can do another pass," Marty hears Pope say, her head turned around now, looking out to the storm. "Recharge the battery. We can— we can go back down."

"Guys, we've done it three times. There's nothing down there," JJ voices up, his eyes shifting to his worrying girlfriend. "We have bigger problems to worry about here!" He yells, reminding them of the storm coming dangerously fast.

"Shut up!" Kiara yells at him, causing Marty's brows to furrow.

"What? It's true! We gotta get outta here!" She yells back, defending her man.

"The gold could be buried. We don't know," Kiara replies, her hair whipping around her face as if it was blinding her from the obvious safety concern.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B cries out, his eyes bloodshot and his voice angry. "Somebody beat us to it."

"Or it was never there," JJ mumbles, grabbing a hold of the wheel for a final time, driving the group back to mainland and back to safety. His voice is deep like Venom, only coherent to Martha who perches herself back on the dashboard again. Thunder rumbles once more, rain finally breaking through the cloudy barriers and pelting down on the horizon.

➵ ➵ ➵

As the group was dropped off at their respective places of fortitude, JJ revealed to Martha that he hates his home and would rather spend time at her place. Which she happily agreed to, but another problem arose: her father would be home.

"Uh, J, since we're going back to my place, uh do you wanna meet my father?" She asks, as JJ drives the pair towards the Holland abode. They are on his bike, JJ in the front controlling the handlebars and pedals, while Marty hugs him from behind. Even after doing this so many times, they both get the feeling of butterflies fluttering in their abdomens.

As soon as she said that in his ear, the bike almost tipped over from JJ breaking too hard too fast. "AHHH!" Marty yelps, feeling her body fly into the air and quickly drop back down. "What the hell, J?!"