Unhappy

AJ came crashing through the door that lead to Violet's room. She used to share it with Tenn, but that ended after that soft little boy who liked to draw was tragically shot by AJ in order to save Violet. Violet jerked awake at the sound, sitting up in a panic. "AJ, what the hell? Is everything okay?" she asked with concern while adjusting herself to her surroundings.

Tears stained the young boy's red cheeks as he sniffled profusely. He wiped away his tears, taking off Clementine's hat and holding it tightly in his hands. "Cl-Clem, she's.. she's gone."

The blonde furrowed her eyebrows in utter confusion. Rubbing her eyes groggily, she repeated, "gone? What do you mean gone? Where did she go?" Violet's breathing became more unsteady the longer it took for AJ to answer.

"She left the coalition. I found her this morning, l-leaving the school. She said she had a car up North that she was going to take to leave." Another wave of tears hit AJ, causing him to use his shirt to wipe them away. He took a few steps closer to Violet, who now had tears in her eyes as well. "She said that she wasn't happy anymore. That.. that she couldn't bear to watch me get hurt, and that I couldn't make her happy. So she left."

Violet's head was spinning at a thousand miles per hour. She didn't understand. How could she understand? Her and Clementine were happy together for two and a half years now. At least that's what she thought. Never once did she think Clementine wasn't happy. Why wouldn't she be? She had a safe home with two other communities to trade with now. AJ was still alive and healthy. And she had a family to care and look out for. Clem would never, under any circumstances, abandon them.

Then it hit Violet. Did she not make Clementine happy anymore? No. That couldn't be it. Clementine always seemed so happy when she was with Violet, and that's what made Violet keep going in this world. Sure she had Louis and the others, but Clementine was her rock. Clementine was all Violet needed to be content in this shitty world.

While trying to process this new revelation, Violet could feel her heart shattering into a million irreparable pieces. She had been through this before, and she couldn't go through it again. It hurt when Minerva was suddenly ripped away from Violet, but it definitely didn't compare to how she felt now knowing Clementine had left her without a single goodbye.

How could the girl Violet's heart beat for do this to her? After everything she had told Clementine about her past - how she didn't handle people she cared for leaving her well? It was the biggest slap in the face to Violet. Being abandoned by her loved ones was something she was used to, but she never expected this from Clementine.

"So she just left.. without even saying goodbye?" the blonde muttered heartbrokenly. She got out of bed, and normally she would lower herself to AJ's level, but over the years the boy had grown taller.

AJ nodded somberly. Violet let out another shaky exhale before embracing him. They both needed it after the tragic news. "AJ, I'm going to go find Clem and bring her back. I promise," the blonde affirmed as she pulled away. "Don't tell the others. I don't want them to worry yet."

"Okay, Vi. Please. You have to bring her back. I don't get why she would leave us after everything we've been through," AJ stated with a crestfallen look painted across his face. "I thought I made her happy. She promised she'd never leave me again."

"I know, buddy. I know," Violet said soothingly while trying not to break down. "This isn't her. Something's wrong, and I will go bring her back and we'll fix things, okay?"

"Okay. I believe in you. Oh-" AJ quickly added before Violet could leave, "bring this to her." The boy handed Violet her girlfriend's hat. "It's hers and she should have it. Maybe you can use it to help bring her back."