War of Hearts

It's been four months since Clementine was last with Violet. After the Raiders came and took her, Omar and Aasim away, the boat fled before Clementine could save them. The only information she had on their whereabouts were from when Lilly explained how she and her group were fighting a community up north. So, that's where Clementine, Louis and Ruby have been heading ever since. Willy and Tenn were both lost to walkers, leaving it up to those three to find their friends.

To this day Clementine still feels guilty about not saving her girlfriend from the Raiders. In that moment, that moment where she had to make a split-second decision, she chose to save Louis solely because she figured Violet had a better chance of fighting the Raiders off. Nothing against Louis, but her heart longs for Violet after all.

"Let's face it, we're never going to get them back, are we," Ruby pessimistically utters as her, Lou and Clementine trudge the treacherous woods. The weather was slowly but surely getting colder, meaning winter was just ahead of them.

Clementine twitches at the words, refusing to believe them. "We keep searching, no matter how hopeless things get," she responds while keeping her focus forward. Clem hates the uncertainty. At this point she doesn't know if it's the guilt or uncertainty that keeps her up at night. "Violet, Aasim, Omar - they're all strong. There's a good chance they're still alive. They wouldn't give up on us, so let's not give up on them."

Louis decides not to chime in for once. Losing his best friend affected everyone drastically, but knowing Violet's in whatever state she's in because he was saved over her? He closes his eyes tightly for a second and continues to walk.

A cold gust of wind blows by, causing everyone to shiver. "Shit, y'all. Winter's going to be here before we know it," Ruby states through chattering teeth. She crosses her arms to try and shield herself against the cold wind.

"Maybe it's best we stop for the day and set up camp?" Louis suggests, feeling goosebumps spreading on his skin.

"I suppose it's getting late anyways. We passed a house maybe fifteen, twenty minutes ago? Should we just head back there for the night?" Clementine adds. As desperate as she is to reach her girlfriend, she can feel her body getting weaker more so each passing day. The past four months have been rough to say the least.

Ruby and Louis agree, and the three begin to follow their previous path. Tomorrow would be a new day.

~~~

"Do you guys think they could actually still be alive?" Clementine questions Ruby and Lou as they proceed with their journey. So far it's been filled with mile-long woods and hungry walkers. "I know I've tried to keep my head high, but I just can't stop thinking that they're gone. If they'd escaped, surely they would have come back to Ericson, right?"

Louis pockets one hand in his trench coat, securing Chairles tightly in the other. "Aasim, Omar, Violet-" he winces at her name. "No way in hell they're dead. There's just no way."

"Yeah, they're okay," Ruby joins in, offering a small but weak smile. Though she doesn't completely believe in her words, it feels better to believe her friends are still alive and not walkers. "We'll see them soon I hope."

Louis chuckles to himself. "Besides, we gotta get you reacquainted with your girlfriend again."

Clementine's cheeks flush red with heat. She catches her breath and says, "you knew about us?"