barely friends

You were lying against your bed with your phone resting on your cushion, leaving Honoka (one of your new closest-friends) on speaker whilst you spoke for hours on end.

About your classes; about people you both thought were cute; about current 'annoyances'; even just pointless 'imagine if' questions that ended with your stomach aching from laughter.

The sky was passed dark as you realised that you had completely lost track of time, your bedroom was completely black apart from the silver lighting from the moon and stars outside of your windows.

You turned your cheek to the side, watching Oikawa in his bedroom: you'd almost completely forgotten that he was just as visible to you, as you were to him.

You sighed as Honoka asked: "What is it?"

"Oikawa," Your brow arched a little, beginning to stand up as you wandered over to your window, lacing your fingertips around the edge of your curtain, "I keep forgetting that he lives right next to me."

His bedroom was completely black as he sat on his bed, watching a late-night show on his t.v.

His brunette hair was messily combed back to get it out of his face. He was wearing just a loose t-shirt and jogging bottoms; he turned his cheek a little as his eyes widened. Oikawa offered you a little smile, waving gently with a kind expression.

You nodded your head, raising your hand by just a few inches before drawing your curtains shut.

You lowered your head before your body fell back onto your bed.
"So," Honoka cleared her throat, adjusting her phone on the other side of the call, "Oikawa-San, huh?"

"What about him?"

"Are.. you two dating?"

Your eyes shot open, "Of course not," You swiftly responded with a disgusted glare, "We're barely even friends."

The girl sighed with relief, "Okay, good.."

Your chest tightened as you raised your legs, cupping your arms around your knees: "What do you mean good?" Your stomach churned a little, yet you felt completely unsure on why, "Do.. you have a crush on him?"

She laughed obnoxiously loud as you felt your head lighten, unsure on why that thought was so funny.

"What's so funny?"

"Y/N-Chan," She snickered, pressing her hand to her stomach as she struggled to maintain her composure, "I'm not interested in guys: you don't have to worry about me getting feelings for Oikawa."

"I wasn't worried about it!" You raised your voice defensively, feeling your skin become ablaze, "Not at all! Stop putting words in my mouth."

'That was so embarrassing..'

"Besides," Your voice lowered to a slight whisper as your body tossed onto its side, "You didn't answer my question from before."

"It's just," Honoka slowly breathed in, rubbing the nape of her neck: "He's kind of a player."

You awkwardly looked off to the side, "That.. doesn't exactly surprise me. He seems like the type.."

"He's had a lot of girlfriends who all say that he's an awful boyfriend," Honoka rested her chin against her palm, holding the phone up to her lips to speak, "They all always talk about how he ignores their needs and breaks up with them when even the slightest of obstacles come up. He just never cares about them like a boyfriend should," Her voice raised slightly with frustration as you felt your chest tighten with a strange sensation, curling your legs up as your lips curled into a frown, "I don't know how many girlfriends he's had, but I know that you wouldn't be able to count them on my hand, that's for sure!"

"Sounds like a jerk.."

"He really is!" She snapped, before her lips eased into a wide and innocent grin, "Well, I'm glad that I got to tell you before you caught feelings, anyway."

You laughed under your breath, "I wasn't planning on catching feelings for him anyway, don't worry."

She giggled under her breath before changing the subject, yet you still felt a dull aching in your stomach at her words.

They flowed and ran through your brain like a gushing river, taking different turns and assumptions as you wondered how true her words were. Honoka had no reason to lie to you, which made you worried, but what made you the most anxious was the fact that you felt worried at all..