first day jitters

To say Althea was nervous, is definitely an understatement. She felt terrified of what was to come.

For years, she didn't know what it would feel like to be back in a classroom, with actual students after being home-schooled by advanced private teachers for 4 years which made her an extreme introvert to everyone aside from Alessandro and her two old friends Dionne and Zuri, which luckily for her, are also attending Forks High School.

'At least I already know two people in my grade' she thought to herself, in the backseat of her brother's car whilst she overthinked her situation.

'Was this really a good idea? I could quit right now' she considered, but something at the back of her head wanted for her to stay, maybe she could make this work for a while, after all, Alessandro did tell her beforehand that she could trust him with anything and everything that bothered her, if she wanted that is.

"Sorella, we're here" he informed her, looking at his sister through the car's mirror, giving her an encouraging smile

"Thanks" she quietly says, taking her bag before turning back again to her older brother

"Remember to breathe. It's going to be alright, just text me if you need anything" he says in a supportive tone "now, good luck, and get out before you get late" he chuckled lightly before kissing his little sister's head

They both bid goodbye, before Althea took her brother's advice, and braced herself for what was to come, taking a long and deep breath before proceeding, shaking off the heavy feeling she labeled as 'first day jitters'.

_____

The day went on faster than she expected, which was quite a relief.

When she first entered the school building, she naturally gathered a lot of attention, but after that, it wasn't that bad. Of course there was the usual 'introduce yourself' to the class thing which was a nerve racking experience that made her internally panic every time she did that, but everything else went on smoothly.

She made a few new friends with these girls, Angela and Jessica whom she shared a couple of her classes with, and a boy named Eric after he introduced himself to her, trying to make her comfortable which really just made her feel the exact opposite.

Soon enough after that, lunch time came by. She didn't really know where to sit, until her friends Dionne and Zuri waved her over.

She gave each of the girls relieved smiles before sitting down on the chair next to them.

"Thank you" she says gratefully, putting down her tray on the table

"Don't worry about it, 'Thea. We know how it feels to be new" Dionne says, helping Althea calm her nerves down.

"So, how have you been?" Zuri gushed, wanting to know everything that has happened with her best friend after being physically separated for almost 5 years.

A little known fact about the twins, is that whilst Dionne is the more shy and reserved sibling, Zuri was the complete opposite, being more outgoing and open. Although if there is one thing they both share, it's that they both would do anything to protect each other. They have such an amazing sibling bond, that many people would probably die for at least a tiny sliver of said bond.

Althea began to share some parts of her life, leaving out the areas which she thought were still too sensitive for her to talk about.

The three began to bond over the past years they had missed, telling each other a couple stories that had happened in those years, until Althea suddenly got distracted by a small crowd of pale-skinned attractive people.

"Who are they?" She asked, taking a bite of her food, when Jessica Stanley and Angela Weber suddenly sat next to the trio

"The Cullens" the asian girl answered whilst checking her camera

"They're um- Dr. and Mrs. Cullen's foster kids, they moved down here from Alaska, like a few years ago" Jessica says quietly, shaking her head, and continuing to eye the group

"They kind of keep to themselves" Angela adds

"Yeah, 'cause' they're all together. Like 'together-together'." Jessica takes a small pause, before resuming "The blonde girl, that's Rosalie, and the dark haired guy, Emmett, they're like a thing. I'm not even sure that's legal-"

"You know they're not actually related." Dionne reasoned, cutting off Jessica then silently introducing herself to Angela.

"Yeah, but they live together, it's weird."

Suddenly, a beautiful short-haired brunette waltzes in and immediately captures Althea's attention. The pixie-like girl, adorably twirls around, and Althea can swear her heart just melted.

"That little dark haired girl is Alice, she's really weird."

"She doesn't seem weird. She looks quite cute" Althea interjected, but the shorter brunette seemed to shrug off what she said and continued.

"I think she's together with that guy, Jasper, the one beside her that always looks like he's in pain." Althea started to feel a small pang of anger? Or was it hatred for the guy? She didn't know what it was, but she brushed it off thinking she had no right to.

"Anyways, Dr. Cullen is like this foster dad/matchmaker" Jessica explained

"Maybe he'll adopt me" Angela jokingly said

"Oh, and that's Edward Cullen. He's totally gorgeous, but completely off limits. Apparently no one is good enough for him, like I care." Jess said, rolling her eyes, her tone full of distaste.

"Don't sweat it" Jessica adds, now introducing herself to Zuri

"I wasn't planning on it" The tall brunette answered, looking at the family.

'Besides, I've already got my eye on a different Cullen' she thought to herself, before seeing Edward smirk.

It was almost as if he could read her mind.