Chapter 89: brought to you by chocolate-covered raisins (or is it rabbit poo?)

We found the lost ten chapters! It's good. We're good. You're good. He's good. They're good Now let's go back to the people who aren't good!

____________________________

"What are you talking about?" Neara felt a sense of dread flood her system, although she already knew the answer, knew it was the right one, knew everything was going to be fine.

"I mean, you and Aetius... and you haven't exactly been talking about Orson or Winston much. It's like you've forgotten about them or something."

"It's hard enough being here without thinking about what I don't have." Neara twisted her own hair around a finger and tried not to look at the massive pile of sleeping rabbits, her boys mixed in with Shay's boys and girls.

"I mean, you hear me miss Curtis and Ryan all the time. Just not when Vincent or Harvey is around." Her eyes flicked to the door, then focused back on Neara's face.

"Which is never. Like, except this time." Neara fought the urge to check the door as well. The Rabbits were off harvesting nuts, an endeavor best carried out at night before the various birds in the valley could find them. They provided for the women, food and water, and took special care of the young, who they couldn't resist cooing at and leaving extra treats.

"Are you dragging me off the subject to try and shut me up so I stop asking?"

"No, I'm going with you. I just... I thought it was obvious."

"Well, obviously not, or I wouldn't have asked." She combed her fingers through her hair and started braiding it. "I hate braiding my hair because I know my kids are just going to pull it out."

One of the rabbits began whimpering fretfully, and Shay immediately dropped her hair to reach out her arms. The smaller rabbit, Neara thought she remembered it was a girl, slowly crawled into her lap. Fur exploded all around them and Shay's hairs slowly untwisted back to straight, almost masking the shocked look on her face.

"Fwoop..." Her eyes bulged so much she could see the whites completely around the iris.

In her arms, rubbing her eyes, sat a little girl, around two or three... maybe younger. She'd have to try and squeeze her into some 18 mo clothes from Carter's or something to check.

"Well, it has been..." More whining filled the Hobbit hole until Shay's girls surrounded them. Fur floated in the warm air and the girls rubbed at their arms. The still very much rabbit boys scrambled around in fright, hiding under the furs, pots, and one even tried to crawl under Asher, who hissed angrily.

"Mama..." One of the girls, short blonde hair standing straight out from her head, tried to crawl into Shay's arms, only to be stopped by the one already there. She squeaked in protest and tried to nuzzle in. The other girl kicked out at her, barely stopped by Shay's hand. The would-be intruder sat down with a thump and started to cry.

"Shoot, now they're all..." Tears filled the hole and Asher, terrified, fled to Shay, wrapping himself tightly around her neck and a part of her daughter's arm. The girl cried even harder, pulling at Asher who made a crackling sound like a fire and hugged tighter.

Neara immediately scooped one into her arms, the sticky rabbit fur coating her and the child in an itchy mess. The girl screamed and arched against her, kicking whenever her legs had leverage. Neara sat down, pinning the tiny girl in her arms and slowly rocked back and forth, unable to help as Shay was slowly mobbed.

"Neara! Open the door!" Shay burst from the sea of toddler flesh. "We need the boys!"

"What about the kids?" Neara didn't think the babies would move with all the screaming going on, but they might think it was quieter outside and run that way.