Chapter 143: brought to you by therapy

What A Girl Wants: Kisses and Therapy. So.... so much therapy.

_______________________________

Strong hands threaded through her hair, the softest pull waking her up. Neara reached a hand to her eyes and Winston's lips descended on hers, soft and warm in the chill of morning. She kissed him back, her energy too spent to do the things she wanted to do to him... again.

"I heard you talking in your sleep." His voice growled through her and she snuggled closer, turning her face to his chest.

"Did I say anything funny?"

"Not unless you count nonsense as funny. 'Orange chicken samples! Fresh rolled sushi!'"

She winced against the painful memory slicing through her and tried to press herself through Winston, maybe hiding in his body. "Sushi is seaweed wrapped around rice and raw fish."

"Sounds delicious."

"I'll make it for you when we get to the sea."

They lay in content silence for a long time, counting their breaths. Every minute that passed was another minute Neara put off talking until the mountain of moments prevented her from saying anything; the silence too thick to crack.

Her stomach rumbled.

"I'll make you breakfast." His eyes narrowed as he rolled away, propping himself on one shaky arm as he moved towards the fire.

"You're still hurt and exhausted; it's ok."

A smile gently curved his face as he looked over his shoulder. "You have given me everything. I will spend my strength serving you."

With a blush, she let her arm fall and sat up to watch him, conscious of her nakedness and rolling the hide around her until only her toes burned in the warmth of the glowing coals.

His strong arms mesmerized her as they stoked the fire and skinned the meat, preparing it carefully for frying. The cracked branches sputtered on the hot stone as he sliced the meat into strips, laying them on the homemade griddle. His long silver hair, gathered in a leather strap behind his head, gleamed in the sunlight.

Who would've thought, two years ago, she'd be 'married' to four men, all of them studs, and be a mom? A sense of dread enveloped her and she gulped down tears. She was only 19/20! At least, she thought she had to be that old, but who knew how long years or months or whatever was here? She might still be 18! Shay, dead under a mountain, her children without a mom, her mates dead themselves or even more feral than before, their families worried sick in the other world and she just horned it up with another guy...

"What the hell is the matter with you?"

"Orson?"

The angry Sheep burst through the trees, ignoring Winston's raised eyebrow. He pointed to Neara, "You. Stop it. Right now."

"What's happening?" Winston started to rise, his leg buckling before he could.

"Can I see Neara yet?" Tony poked his head out from behind a tree, waving cheerfully at Neara when she noticed him. "Neara! You look so happy!"

"What?" She pulled herself deeper into the hide, embarrassed at her vulnerability. They'd all seen her naked, but they hadn't all seen her naked at the same time and she wasn't interested in whatever that might entail.

"You know damn well what. Stop moping and overthinking everything. I thought you'd be happy to get this mating drama over with, but you're still doubting yourself." With an enormous sigh, he drew his hand forcefully across his eyebrows. "Nobody here is going to hurt you or leave you."