Chapter 15: brought to you by a beefcake

In which the thrilling aftermath of the barbeque is revealed. Nera gains another admirer and is friendzoned by another. Winston fights for her honor, or house, and begins making pheromones. Unfortunately for her, there is only one Winston, and he can't do everything at once.

_____________________

The pair walked back to the fires in silence. Neara absorbed the sights like a sponge and Winston maintained a peaceable silence. They got back to the fire. Their presence created a bubble of gossip.

"What is he doing here?"

"He's sitting at her fire?"

"What happened to her face markings? She's beautiful!"

Winston carefully sat away from Neara and kept his eyes on the fire.

"I'm Neara, by the way." She poked at the flames with a long stick.

"I'm Winston." He didn't look at her.

"Aren't you going to eat?" She looked at the meat and gritted her teeth, ready to swipe at the burning flesh.

Winston nodded, a slight pink on his cheeks, and grabbed a handful of meat. He made it look so easy! He bit into the food, juice oozed down the side of his face. His tongue lapped it up and he continued eating.

Neara reached out and confidently grabbed her own handful. She then screamed and much less confidently pulled her hand back. "Ow!"

"What's wrong?" Winston's ears angled forward and he leaned towards her.

"It's so hot!" She blew on her hand then pushed it into the cool grass behind her. "I think I burned my hand. Ugh!"

"If you needed assistance, I am right here." Winston sat back, his face locked in position.

"Ok, can you get me some meat?" Neara asked reluctantly.

Winston pulled off another chunk of meat and whipped it around, juice flying in all directions and mostly on her face. "Here." He held out the cooled food.

"Thanks." She wiped her face with her good hand and accepted it. They ate in continued silence, Winston replacing her meat whenever she ran out. She cleaned her hand in the dew from the grass and coughed. "Um... so what's the deal with that fox girl? Didn't you have a claim to her or something?"

He stopped chewing and looked at her. "It was my right to present myself first. It was her right to refuse me."

"I'm sorry that happened... are you going to find another mate?"

"I don't plan on mating for the rest of my life." He sounded worn out, as if he'd said this to himself many times.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings... I'm sorry I said anything." Neara covered herself in the cloak and pulled her knees to her chin.

Winston's face colored and a small smile turned up the corner of his lips. He looked over her shoulder and Neara turned around. The tall beastman from the river stood there, a large cut of meat balanced on a leaf in his hands.

"This is for you." He shoved the parcel into her hands and quickly walked away.

"What just happened?" Neara moved into a kneeling position, looked at the meat and sniffed. It smelled like pork. Did they have pigs in this world?

"That is the son of the Wolf King. He brought you food as a symbol of his interest in becoming your mate." Winston's lips barely moved and his eyes studied the coals. "That is pork, and it is only eaten by royal females."