Chapter 22

I suggest you throw away any sharp objects around you before reading the chapter. You may want to throw them at me in frustration after the shock wears off ...😆😆😆

Drisana kept staring at the head maid of the outer palace of Mayamehel, Candika. Just a little distance away stood Malini, Draupadi's chief handmaid, Punkodi, the head maid of the inner Palace of Mayamehel and Vrinda, Valandhara's handmaid. Even though Drisana's gaze was solely upon Candika, the rest three fidgeted in their places too. The only one not bothered with her silence was Tara, Drisana's chief handmaid who stood behind her.

"I--I'm sorry Rajkumari. I immediately sent the maid away with her kid. This won't happen again, I assure you." Candika's voice trembled a bit, fearing for punishment.

She had worked under Maharani Devika and Rajkumari Draupadi's command till now. Rajkumari Arunika was either absent or didn't care to involve in the household affairs so far. She never interacted with the Palace maids. Even no other maids apart from her personal ones were allowed at her wing. The cleaning and keeping of the quarters were done by them only.

The princess had come to Indraprasth with a large number of maids along with precious jewels and riches. And why not? Rajkumar Nakul was the most handsome prince in the entire Aryavart. There was not a single maiden who wouldn't desire to be his, wouldn't want his eyes on them even if it was just in passing. Whereas Rajkumaris were married to make alliances, Rajkumars were married to get military support and wealth. And Rajkumar Nakul seemed to have gotten well worth his looks with this pampered Dravidakumari. So why would she concern herself with household chores! The princess didn't even know how to cook. A good laugh had followed the gasps of horror and astonishment with the gossip of her food of 'pehli rasoi' (First day at kitchen ritual).

Rajkumari Arunika still kept silent only staring at her making the maid in front of her sweat. Earlier, while playing, the kid of a maid had stumbled upon the storeroom where diyas and crackers were kept. The kid had caused a ruckus by breaking a large number of diyas accidentally. Candika hadn't seen the need to concern anyone with this trivial matter and send the maid away with her kid after scolding. As for the broken diyas, purchasing new ones meant reporting back to Rajkumari Arunika. So she had simply decreased the number of diyas lightened in some hallways and entirely skipped lightening any on some of the unused guest chambers at the far end.

What she hadn't counted on was Dravidakumari questioning her on it. After all when would she have gotten the time to roam around the huge palace to check? But somehow she did and now she stood calmly staring at her instead of shouting or dismissing the matter with a warning.

"I'm thinking for which offence should I forgive you first." Drisana said finally. "For carelessly keeping the door of the storeroom open? For not informing me about the incidence? For not letting me know there's a shortage of diyas? Or for sending away that maid and her kid by yourself?"

"I'm sorry, Rajkumari. I don't know how it remained open after the cleaning. I thought --" Candika started to defend herself but stopped seeing Drisana's raised hand.

"You're here only to make sure of that, aren't you? The storerooms and guest chambers fall under your watch. And you don't know how the door remained open. There are crackers in there with diyas. You not knowing may have caused an accident. What if the kid had gotten hurt?" Drisana asked in the same calm tone, not raising her voice once.

Candika remained silent with lowered gaze. She hadn't thought of it. What the Rajkumari said, was true. A little carelessness on her part could have caused harm to the kid.

"And by whose permission you sent the maid away with her kid? Maharaj Yudhisthir has declared the occasion will be celebrated with all, including the helping hands and soldiers of Indraprasth. A feast is arranged for all. And you send away one of the maids for the mistake you made." Drisana said again keeping her tone neutral. Candika's eyes watered in remorse and fear. Being a maid herself, she knew how much it meant to be included in a royal celebration. And she had taken away that joy from someone. That maid had come with her kid in the hope of getting a full belly with delicacies and she sent them away empty-handed.