Chapter 23

Indraprasth was celebrating the festival of unity and togetherness through teasings, light banter, laughter, love and excitement. The day of Dhantrayodashi passed in bliss. Kunti had given Subhadra her designated pair of bangles on the first day itself welcoming her officially in the family. The women including Kunti deliberately left Karna and Pandavs alone, so the brothers could bond better rising above the awkwardness. And it was indeed working as the six of them didn't held any bitterness or resentment towards each other.

Karna had heard about the incidence of Aswasena and Arjun. The atmosphere became tensed as the implication of someone helping Aswasena set in. Karna didn't need to be told who they suspected. Even though the information of Pandavs not raising weapons for eleven days remained well hidden, the news of the great havan and Devika's baby shower reached two Kingdoms outside Indraprasth. One was Anga and another Hastinapur. As Karna himself was coming with Subhadra only a few days later, the gifts and foretoken of omen arrived with him. But the elders of Hastinapur had sent their blessings and auspicious endowments beforehand. And one of the gift boxes held the weapon that was supposed to kill the heir of Yudhisthir.

Karna would like to believe the father who doted on his children, Laxman and Laxmana, had nothing to do with it. But his mind knew better. A man is known by the company he keeps. And the company of Gandharraj Shakuni had well poisoned Duryodhan's heart. If Aswasena had been sneaky enough, disaster would have followed.
Karna shook his head of the dark unwanted thoughts and instead advised Yudhisthir to watch over closely and not to let any offerings or gifts enter the Palace without inspection from now on, no matter who sent it.

Further talks of Hastinapur or Duryodhan was carefully avoided by them. Even though Karna had broken his ties with Duryodhan, it was still a touchy subject for him as he had also seen the good and appreciative sides of Duryodhan. Pandavs understood that too.

After dinner time, Yudhisthir was visibly surprised when Subhadra asked permission to arrange for a function on the next day to celebrate Roop Chaturdashi. No. There was nothing wrong with wanting to arrange a gathering. But the problem was, it was a women's function where no man would be allowed, not even guards. And after what happened just a few days before, Yudhisthir wasn't eager to permit. He had hardly allowed Devika to come out of their chamber as it was.

If it was anyone else, he would have sternly said no. But Subhadra was his bhabhishree and she had come here for the first time. He didn't want to hurt her feelings by refusing. All the ladies were pointedly absent. Yudhisthir looked at Karna, Bheem and Sahdev who were seated with him. None of them seemed eager to meddle in between.

"But bhabhishree, without guards it won't be safe." He said gently.

"Bhrata Yudhisthir, are you implying that in Indraprasth inside the palace of Mayamehel where six of the most valorous warriors of Aryavart are present, it is not safe?" Subhadra asked innocently making big rounded eyes. Yudhisthir looked at a loss for words. Sahdev gave a cough hiding his laugh. Karna looked amused.

"Why it won't be safe? Bhabhishree is saying right bhrata. In our presence, if the women can not feel protected, then it is a shame for us. This is their home and they should be allowed to celebrate as they wish." Bheem said sincerely supporting Subhadra.

"Okay then. As you wish." Yudhisthir relented finally.

At Dravida:

Rajkumari Shubhaprada silently sat organising the ornaments she got the previous day. It was the day of Soundarya Siddhi Diwas or Roop Chaturdashi which basically meant the women getting beauty treatments to look glowing at the main event next day and also worshipping goddess Parvati for beauty, purity and fertility. Rajkumar Dhritimat frowned slightly watching his bubbly and chirpy wife so quiet.