23 | foxglove

1707, Breckenridge Academy, Avionne

As dusk came, the pale blues of the skies turned into a rich symphony of purples and reds. It was a glorious sight, but only for a brief moment, as not long after, darkness came and swallowed it whole.

The Grand Tutor, Lord Archibald Breckenridge had commissioned several workers to repair the old eastern wing, which walls had started to crumble following the devastating typhoon that hit Avionne last year.

The plan was to completely break down the old walls and build new ones in their place. Within days, the old walls were shattered down, and concrete casts had been set up.

The workers had planned to pour the concrete into those casts the next morning, and that night, they all returned home for a good night's rest.

Darkness loomed over the prestigious Breckenridge Academy, and as the moon rose that night, three figures dressed in white were seen leaving the girl's dormitory.

They were Marguerite le Prince and Eufemia Dubois, and the third girl was the new student, Jacquetta Palin.

Jacquetta's wrists were bound together using makeshift ropes made out of ripped up bedsheets, and her soft brown eyes were wide with fear and dripping with tears. Her lips trembled as she was slowly led to the construction site, wanting to scream out for help, but it would undoubtedly ire her bullies.

She could feel the rough edges of the rope tear into her skin, drawing out blood. Underneath her bare feet were sharp and jagged rocks, and on the way to the construction site, Jacquetta felt as if she were walking on a bed of glass.

            "Please let me go," she whimpered weakly, though she did not hold any hope in her heart that they would let her leave.

Marguerite paused in her steps and turned around to look at Jacquetta, her gaze freezing cold and void of sympathy.

             "And let you tell everyone about what has happened? I think not," Eufemia hissed, shoving Jacquetta roughly on the back.

The sudden force caused her to fall down on her knees, and the sharp rocks on the ground sliced right into her flesh.

              "Oh, poor Jacquetta," she heard Eufemia taunt. "If only you weren't so annoying, then I would have no reason to beat you."

Jacquetta swallowed the pain and humiliation that they had ever so kindly given to her, and forced herself to lift up her head.

              "If it is money that you want, then I can give it to you. Just name the amount, and I will ask my father to send it over," she proposed, hoping that the money will be able to resolve the bitter grievances in Marguerite's heart.