50 | forget-me-not

1738, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

    "Your Majesty, this is the list that you have requested for," Catarina's lady-in-waiting, Lady Montfort said as she handed over a slip of paper. "A list of all the eligible noblewomen in Ravaeryn and Amaris."

    "Thank you," Catarina whispered as she set her teacup down on the table and reached for her spectacles. It had been fifteen years since the passing of the late King Guillaume, making way for Julian to ascend the throne. Although becoming queen was far from easy, Catarina had been well-trained by her mother-in-law, Dowager Queen Isabel.

Catarina and Julian had been blessed with three children, a boy named Alexander Elliott and twin girls named Victoire and Veronique. They were a rambunctious bunch growing up, but dealing with them as adults was far more difficult, especially when it came to Alexander, the Crown Prince.

    "Has any of them caught your eye, Nina dearest?" Julian inquired as he sliced into the baked cod on his plate. "It is time for Alex to settle down, I believe. He is twenty-five and still unmarried."

    "I am glad that you agree," Catarina sighed. "Although, it seems that he is much more interested in his affairs and dalliances."

The Crown Prince Alexander was rather infamous in Kestramore City for his rakish ways, and he preferred to have meaningless relationships with women all over the continent rather than marrying well and settling down, much to his parent's chagrin. As the Crown Prince, marrying a sensible lady from a good family was his duty in order to continue the royal bloodline, but Alexander seemed to show little to no interest in that.

    "Surely, there must be one lady who is capable of charming him, making him forget about his previous ways," Julian proposed.

    "Even if such a lady exists, that boy will never agree to an arranged marriage."

    "It does not have to be an arranged marriage. Maybe we should let them meet beforehand."

    "You mean, The Choosing Ceremony?" Catarina gasped.

    "Exactly, dearest. What do you think?"

Catarina thought long and hard, and finally, she said, "Why not?"

And just as it occurred twenty-seven years ago, the season of love and murder in the court of Ravaeryn, shall once more commence.

-Finish-

Author's Note: So, we've finally come to the end of the tale of Catarina and her prince

Author's Note: So, we've finally come to the end of the tale of Catarina and her prince. I initially planned for this story to be lighthearted, but you all can see how that turned out. Of course, while this is the end of Catarina's story, Eleanora's story is just beginning, and you can read it in 'A Gilded Cage'. As of now, there are around ten published chapters, but I plan to post more actively in the future since I've finished this book. On another note, I cannot express how grateful I am for the support and love that you have showered me in this past year, and I hope that you enjoyed this journey as much as I did.

(20 September 2023) Future of this series:

Dear reader, the end of A Gilded Cage marks the end of the Court of Ravaeryn series, and I have no immediate plans to write a new installment. However, I do have ideas in mind which I might adapt in the future.

1. The story of Prince Alexander, Catarina and Julian's son.

2. The story of Elliott de Fontaine and Princess Luciana, Catarina's parents.

3. The story of Cosmina Breckenridge and Florian Andrade.

4. The story of King Guillaume and Queen Isabel.

Although, I must clarify that I do not intend to write an installment for Rafael and Demitria, as their story has already been well explored in the first installment. Do comment on which you would like to see!

Also, if you're into the world of assassins, dark fantasy, conspiracies, immortality and centuries old love, don't forget to check out my new book, Maligned!