47 | honeysuckle

1712, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

    "Do you think that she will accept me?" Catarina whispered to Julian as they walked down the hallway that led to the Queen's sitting room. "I recall that she once called me as well behaved as a scullery maid."

Julian tightened his grip on Catarina's hand. "Trust me, Nina. She already did." If the Queen had not approved of her, then Julian never would have been able to harvest the Flower of Anaise that ultimately saved her life, but Catarina did not know that.

Catarina lowered her head as she silently trudged along, her heart beating erratically in her chest. She was not one to be easily intimidated, but she had witnessed how insufferable the Queen could be firsthand, and she doubted that such a person could change that easily.

It did not take long for them to reach the Queen's sitting room, and upon noticing the two, the head steward quickly exclaimed, "Announcing the arrival of His Royal Highness, The Crown Prince and Lady Catarina of House de Fontaine!"

The doors swung open, and there, in the centre of the room, perched on the chaise while stroking a Pomeranian puppy was the Queen. The Queen's features were stern and uninterested, and for a brief moment, Catarina thought that she would huff in disgust. However, it never came, and when the Queen noticed Catarina's presence in the room, her expression softened. She bent down and set the puppy down on the marble floor, and wordlessly, she began to make her way towards Julian and Catarina.

The first words that she uttered to Catarina were, "Have you been well, child?"

Catarina stiffened, and quietly she nodded. "I have been well, Your Majesty. I thank you for your concern."

The Queen then smiled, the first genuine smile that Catarina had ever seen coming from her. "You mustn't call me that, child. From today onwards, call me Mother."

    "M-Mother?"

Catarina could not believe her ears. How could the Queen, who viewed her with such disdain, suddenly treat her so tenderly?

    "I have wronged you, Catarina. I've insulted you, humiliated you, wounded you. I shouldn't have treated you that way-"

    "No, you shouldn't have," Catarina interjected coolly, still wary of the Queen's sudden benevolence.

    "If you could find it in your heart to forgive me, then it would make me the happiest person in this world. Those cruel words that I have said to you, I wish that I could take them back."

Catarina quietly listened, yet she remained wordless. Her eyes were cold, and her lips were dry. Eventually, she let out a sigh.