30 | rhododendron

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

    "How will I face you today, after all that's happened between us?" Catarina quietly murmured as she stared at her reflection in the bronze mirror.

Dark circles had formed under her eyes, a product of her sleepless night. She tiredly slipped the cooking apron on and tied the sash around her waist, then yawned.

    "Are you unwell, Catarina?" Jessamine voiced out in concern. "Usually, you are already out and about at times like this."

    "I haven't slept well. A little bug crept into my ear and wouldn't stop buzzing all night."

Little did Jessamine knew that the 'bug' was in fact Catarina's own conscience, telling her to admit her true feelings, but of course, she was too proud and was unwilling to do that.

       The cooking competition was held in the furthest section of the royal gardens, near the river, which had gradually returned to its former self after several days without rain.

Seven counters were set up side by side, and on each counter were a variety of fruits and vegetables, beef, chicken and venison, as well as flour and eggs.

On the ground beside each of the counters were makeshift stoves, and at the front, a bit farther away from the judge's table was a big firewood oven, specially built for the occasion.

        Catarina found herself in the fourth counter from the left, and to her right was Jessamine. Much to her chagrin, on her left, was Marguerite le Prince.

       "Good day, ladies," Princess Demitria greeted, her voice loud and clear. "As you have been informed earlier, today, each and every one of you must prepare a dish that would suit our liking. If you succeed, then the odds of you being chosen at the end is very likely.

        In front of you are a variety of ingredients from each region of our kingdom. To your left, we have a selection of choice cuts of beef and mutton from Riviera, and beside it, we have whole chickens, quails, and eggs from Bourles. Next to that is a spread of fruits, vegetables and mushrooms from Esterdel, as well as honey and sugarcane from Lorewell.

On your right, you will salt, dried fish, oysters and crawfish from the Isles of Vitale, wheat and oat from Grange, spice and herbs from Beaummiers, and lastly, milk, butter and cheeses that were prepared here, in Kestramore City."

Catarina was pleased to see that all the ingredients she required were available, and as soon as Demitria signalled for them to begin, she quickly retrieved the rolled up piece of parchment that she had tucked in her sleeve.

Madame Mulberry's Excellent Egg Dishes: Fabulous Fritattas

7 free-range and corn fed chicken or duck eggs

A quarter pint of a happy cow's milk

A handful of plump and succulent cherry tomatoes