1 - Levina

"Ah, my lovely daughter. Come, sit." My father gestured to a bean bag, next to him in front of the crackling fireplace. I did as he asked.

"Father, why am I here? I'm desperate to get out of this gown." I scratched at my thighs where the rough fabric nipped at me. By here, I meant in his quarters. I was hardly ever allowed in his quarters, and even when I was it was on special order. All I'd really seen of the place, out of my 17 years alive, was the front room, which is where we were now. Nothing special, just a fireplace, some chairs and a few mini gold statues on the mantelpiece.

"My child, you'll be out of here soon. Don't you worry. I just wanted to inform you of the guests arriving tomorrow."
"Guests?" I mumbled, dread already growing.
"The king of Devusiya and his son. Since they couldn't make it for your birthday yesterday, the king decided he would come tomorrow to give you his blessings. We also have important trading business to talk about, and so we thought you would have fun meeting with the prince for the first time."

"Father, if this is your plan to get me a suitor I-"
"No! No, of course not. However, if something did by chance happen..."
"You're exasperating," I smiled, shaking my head. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to mull over how best to smite the prince when he comes."

My father laughed heartily and I bowed, before turning and walking out.

♕︎𑁍♕

"He's trying to get me a suitor." I groaned, flopping onto my bed, an arm over my eyes.
"Levina, you're 17. He's the king of Cyra. Of course he's trying to marry you off." Kaiden deadpanned, and I moved my arm to glare at him from where he sat.
"Besides," he continued, taking out his dagger to pick his nails. "It's not like you'd find a husband on your own if he didn't help you."

Sitting up abruptly, I narrowed my eyes at him.
"And what is that supposed to mean?"
"That you're an independent bad bitch that doesn't need a man." He nonchalantly replied.
"...True. That's probably also the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"You're welcome." Putting his dagger back in his belt, Kaiden went inside my walk-in and emerged moments later with some trousers and my favourite top. "Now get changed, since your dress is so itchy and uncomfortable."

Putting a hand to my heart, I looked at him solemnly. He raised an eyebrow.
"What would I do without you Kay?"
"You'd be dead by now." He snorted, and I gasped indignantly and shooed him out of the room.

Okay, so maybe I wasn't looking forward to this setup thing that was about to happen. But I've been cooped up in a castle with that guy the past three years, and I'm definitely ready for a change.