5 1/2 - Skylar

"So, what do you think of the palace Skylar?" Father slapped me on the back as I unpacked my bags.
"It's nice." Taking out one of my suits, I grabbed a hanger to put it on in the oak wardrobe. Everything was oak in this place.
"And...the princess?" dad added in a hopeful voice. A smile played on my lips.

"She's as beautiful as you said she would be." Although, it was very hard to tell because I couldn't stop staring at her eyes. They were...mysterious. Like she had something hidden inside them - something maybe she didn't even know was there. Either way, I was determined to find out what it was. Because if we were going to get married, I would not stare at those bottomless eyes for the rest of my life, without knowing what lay inside.

"I'm glad you agree," He grinned, white teeth glinting, "because very soon, you could reign as the king of two kingdoms."

"Father, she's still only 17. Besides, her father's on the throne. If we got married I wouldn't be in any position of authority until he abdicates, by choice or by death." I took out the framed picture of my mother and sister, placing it on the mini desk of drawers next to the bed.

"Well, who knows?" My father's tone changed, and I paused what I was doing. "Her father is quite...aged. Anything could happen." I snapped my head towards him, where the corners of his mouth were slightly upturned, and narrowed my eyes.

"Father, what's going through your head right now?"

"Nothing, my boy. Nothing."