4 - Levina

It was beautiful.

An onyx grip and pommel, a rich golden cross-guard, a blade scratched with the wounds of battle, but still in amazing condition.

It really was beautiful.

"A sword?" Kaiden's sceptical remark interrupted my trance. "Pfft, what do they expect you to do with that?"

I looked at him where he was behind my shoulder, and asked quietly,

"What is up with you today?"

That stuns him into silence. I smirked,

"Are you jealous?" I teased, and his eyes widened as he shook his head frantically, adorably.

I've always known that Kaiden tends to fancy females and males. He used to try to hide it, but when I saw him talking to one of the kitchen staff a few years ago, he finally confessed. I'm just surprised he already likes the prince without even talking to him yet.

"I'm not jealous." He scoffed, and I grinned.

"You know, I don't like him that way. If you want, you can make your move. I'm just imagining your fantasies about cuddling with him, and feeding him chocolate-covered strawberries, and-"

"Shut up, Lev!" He exclaimed, and I burst into laughter, clutching my stomach as I wheezed.

"Okay, okay, okay. I'm done. For now." I gasped as I caught my breath.

"So...why do you think they gave me a sword?"

"I don't know. Hold it up. I bet it's too heavy for you."

"Excuse me? I'll show you."

As soon as my hand touched the hilt, a shock of...something...connected with my finger.

"What the-" I gasped, eyes widening.

"What? What happened?"

Biting my bottom lip, I slowly touched the hilt again. Another tingle of that something travelled up my arm. I ignored it and wrapped my hand around the hilt.

The room exploded.

♕︎𑁍♕︎

I hacked up dust as I waved my hands in front of me, trying to shoo away the smoke.

"...What just happened?" Kaiden stated, and I shook my head, speechless. We were both slumped against a wall, having been thrown back by a powerful, unseen force.

The room was covered in soot. And, like a beacon or a star, the one thing, shining in the room of dark grey, was the sword.

It was literally glowing.

"Okay. so...the sword is explosive." Kaiden, with his normally perfect hair now flying in all directions like some kind of deranged hedgehog, stated oh so obviously.

"That's great."