8 - Kaiden

Levina has been acting...weird, since she woke up. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad she woke up, but something's... off.

Well, it wasn't since she woke up really, rather when she was listening into the King's room.

The rest of the day was....awkward, to say the least. I could tell I was getting on her nerves, but the King had ordered me not to leave her side when she woke up, and I didn't really feel like crossing the man when he was already worked up.

Eventually, after Levina had wordlessly brushed past me for the third time in a few hours, I finally asked her what was up.

"Levina, what in the Gods did you hear in your father's room?" I asked, snatching the book from her hands. She whipped around, tensed. Almost immediately after, her shoulders slumped, and she bowed her head.

"My father wants to marry me off."

"...what?"
"To Skylar."
My heart stopped.
"What?"
"That's what I heard at least."
My eyes narrowed.
"Is that why he's been acting so, utterly sickeningly nice?"
"Probably."

My jaw clenched, as my hands shook. Turning around, I strode out the door.

"Where're you going?" Levina called, and I responded with a curt,
"To kill him, of course."
"Kaiden!"

♕︎𑁍♕︎

"You little son of a bitch, did you know about this?" I yelled, my right fist tightening in the prince's shirt, eyes blazing.
Levina pulled me away from the bastard by the back of my jacket, and I mentally shot daggers at the prince's oh so innocent face.

"What are you talking about?" his face masked on of confusion, and it annoyed me to no end.
"Don't act like you don't know." I hissed.
The Prince then had the audacity to role his eyes at me, before stepping closer.
"Levina, what is he-"

"Any closer to the princess and I slit your throat before you take your next breath."
"Kaiden." Levina's hand rested on mine, which was clamped around the hilt of my dagger. "Calm down. It's okay."

I huffed and gave her a pointed look. She smiled softly back at me, and I looked away, exasperated. Why did she have to be so damn cute?
"Prince Skylar... did you know about the marriage?"

"Marriage? What marriage?"