6 - Levina

"Why do you have to be so careless?"
"Father, it wasn't my fault!"
"Levina, you could've died. Now is not the time to make meaningless excuses." He snapped back. I bit the inside of my cheek and willed my fists to stop clenching. Everything felt wrong as soon as I'd moved into this new room, with nothing less than all of my surviving possessions. Which weren't too many.

"Levina, you're 17. I would've thought your childish ways were long behind you."
"But father, I-"
"No. No more excuses. I'm disappointed. That's all." And without another word, he left.

He left.

My breath was coming in strong puffs. Eyes darting around the room, my body buzzed like I was trying to crawl out of my skin. I needed to get out.

♕︎𑁍♕︎

That's how I found myself sitting in a field of dandelions, over the castle's picket fence and in the woods nearby. There was no wind. No birds.

Everywhere was quiet.

Until I heard a voice.
'Levi, come on! Your cousin is very eager to see you.'
'But mother, I don't know how to comfort people! I'm as sorry about uncle's death as she is, but it'll be awkward. I don't want to!'

Soft, muffled voices. I turned my head, but I couldn't find the source.

'Mother, will you ever die?'
'Of course not, sweetie. I'll always be here with you.'

A bang.

A crash.

A scream, a clash.

A little girl's shrieks and a bolt of red lightning.

And silence.

And shaking.

And silence and shaking.

I was hugging my knees, rocking back and forth, back and forth. Around me...miles and miles of dead dandelions - snapped stems, bent back, petals to the ground.