Chapter 28

"Y/N?" Hoseok called out as he scanned the body that was crouched in front of him in the middle of the hall "Y/N, are you okay?"

Y/N lifted her head just enough to look up at him. Her cheeks were flushed, her lips slightly gnawed. "I'm just peachy, Hoseok.." she said before groaning softly into her knees again. He scratched his cheek, a little lost. Hoseok then bent down to her level. "Do you want to get some fresh air then? I was planning on going with Taehyung so I was going to ask you anyway."

Y/N scrunched her nose, closed her eyes and nodded. "Where are we going?"

Hoseok just smiled cheekily, "you'll see."

...

Hoseok always liked parks. He liked the large open areas of pure grass and occasional wild flowers. While there were trees to go under for some shade when the heat proved to be too much, Hoseok liked to let his skin (more specifically his fur) get soaked in the sun a little longer than needed. Taetae kind of understood his love for sunbathing but would prefer to run in the sun like a golden retriever.

If he hadn't personally seen Taehyung shift into a tiger, Hoseok would have easily mistaken him for a dog hybrid instead. At least then his seemingly endless excitement would make more sense.

He also noted that Y/N preferred to stay underneath the shade, content with simply watching her two hybrids enjoy the sunshine. She didn't seem like the active type. Or maybe she was but she was not in the mood to be active.

Hoseok was not exactly sure how to cheer her up but he knew there was no point in sitting alone with one's own thoughts. With that in mind, he marched over to her side, took a seat right next while ignoring her surprised gasp before promptly shifting into a ferret.

Shaking his body slightly, Hoseok climbed into her lap and curled against her stomach. He made sure not to accidentally scratch her skin with his nails. They weren't as sharp as a cat's nails but they could be used to inflict some painful scratches.

That would defeat his entire purpose since Hoseok was trying to comfort her, not hurt her.

Since Y/N had not thrown him off yet, Hoseok assumed she was alright with him laying on her like this. Other than his initial intention which was to comfort her, Hoseok could also feel himself relaxing as he let her scent wash over her.

Every human has a different scent. Family members tend to smell similar but even then, you could recognize them individually with a little bit more effort.

Y/N had a scent that he could recognize from a mile away. Over time, before Hoseok had even realized, her scent had become something he was very familiar with. The scent itself wasn't special. It was the fact that it was Y/N's scent that brought Hoseok a sense of peace whenever he smelled it.

"Thanks Hoseok-ah.." she whispered. She pulled her feet underneath her and shifted Hoseok onto her lap. Without putting much thought into it, Y/N began to lightly scratch his back. Hoseok let out quiet squeals in appreciation at the contact. Hoseok blinked lazily as he tried to look up and watch Taehyung run about through the grass.

He watched Taehyung slowly approach the other hybrids in the area but something always made them flinch and scurry away from him.

The sight left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Tigers were known to be predators. They were usually found in the wild hunting down their prey in order to live till the next day. It was this intimidation factor that stopped Taehyung from shifting into his animal form whenever he liked. Unlike most domestic hybrids that were well received by the public, dangerous hybrids were seen as a challenge for people to try and assert their power over.