23

The next day, Emma woke up in her own bed for the first time in a long time. An uneasy feeling washed over her as she looked beside her, having grown so use to Regina being there. After last night, the pair decided to ignore each other. She sighed as she sat up, hating how much she missed being without Regina. She reached across and grabbed her phone, heading straight to her camera roll. There she found the video of Regina that she took, smiling as she watched her. Her door then knocked half way through, causing the blonde to drop it due to being startled.

"Mum, you awake" Marco asked, able to hear a small sound coming from the room.

"Yeah, come in" Emma replied, turning her phone off as she properly sat up.

"Hey, how you feeling" Marco softly asked, entering the room and approaching the bed.

"I'm alright, why" Emma questioned, looking a little confused at her son's concern.

"You were really down last night and you don't seem much better" Marco replied, sitting down beside his mother to rub her shoulder.

"I just don't know what to do, kid. She's going to hate me" Emma sighed, letting her face drop into her hands due to stress.

"Do you really love her" Marco asked, already knowing the answer but needing to ask it.

"Of course I do, kid" Emma replied with a laugh in shock, having thought the answer was obvious.

"Then take her, for god sake" Marco said with a slight huff at how complicated this has all become.

"You don't understand... I'm not taking her because I need her safe, I need her alive; just like you" Emma softly said, looking back down into her hands.

"I know but this is different. I've never seen you look at anyone the way you look at Regina, I don't even think I've seen someone look at anyone the way you look at her. I know you love her, I know you do, and I know you want to spend the rest of your life with her so just do. She knows exactly what she is signing up for, she went thought it before and so have I" Marco quickly said, almost cutting his mother off her words.

"The difference is he'd never hurt you, only kidnap you to get me there... He'd murder Regina the first chance he got. It would be selfish of me to take her just to get her killed. I'm already responsible for Reina's death, I can't be responsible for Regina too" Emma sighed, climbing out of the bed to release some stress from this.

Marco knew she had a point, he couldn't argue that. He also knew how much his mother cared for Regina and how much she longed to be with her. He stood up and walked around the bed, pulling her into a tight hug. They held each other close, unsure what they will do without the other.

"I won't fight you any more on this, I know your intentions are right" Marco softly said, knowing his mother would do anything to keep people safe.

"Thank you, kid" Emma simply replied, closing her eyes as she squeezed her son a little more. She pulled away to look at Marco, holding his charming face in her hands with a sad smile. "Oh god, I don't know what I'm going to do without you, I'm going to miss you so much"

"I'll miss you too... But when you come visit, we will have loads to talk about" Marco said with a small chuckle, trying to find the silver lining. Emma couldn't help but look away from his eyes at this, nodding in agreement to his statement; Marco noticed the look. "What?"

"What?"

"That face, what was it" Marco quickly asked, stepping out his mother's grip to look at her better.

"Nothing, kid" Emma started to lie, unable to look at the boy when she does.

"No, you gave that look and I know that look. What aren't you telling me" Marco sternly asked, showing his resemblance to the Mills family.

"Kid, I-" Emma began to say though she had no idea what to come up with. She sighed as she knew to tell him the truth, he'd figure it out sooner or later. "I'm not coming back... Ever"

"Wha- no, mum, don't say that. Why are you saying that" Marco questioned in pure shock, not understanding if this was a joke or not.

"Because it's true-"

"No, it's not. Mum, no, this is not ok. Say it's a joke, say it's not true, please"

"Marco, listen" Emma softly said, reaching out to hold her son's hand.

"No, don't" Marco quickly said, snatching his hand away from her body. His eyes had already started to tear up, not even fighting to stop himself from crying. "You can't do this, you promised you'd come back and see me! This was all supposed to be temporary, that's what you said! You can't suddenly go back on your word and never come back, you can't do that"

"I know, kid, I'm so sorry but I am doing this for your own good. I'm giving you a chance at a normal life and that's not with me" Emma quickly but softly said, trying to reach out and hold her son again.

"I don't WANT THAT... I just want my mum" Marco started to snap but just let his pain take over his words.

"I'm sorry" was all Emma could say before Marco began storming out. She saw him turn right as if he was heading to the front door, quickly chasing after him. "Kid, wait up"

"No, leave me alone" Marco replied in an huff, already storming down the spiral stairs.

"Marco, please" Emma called out, hating that her son is actually faster than her.

Regina and Rita were stood at the bar, talking as the youngest of the two cleaned. They then heard the two shouting as they ran down the stairs, looking over confused. Marco came storming through the bar, not bothering to speak to the sisters.

"Just leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you right now" Marco snapped, his voice cracking due to his cries.

"Hey, sweetie, what's going on" Regina quickly said, running towards the door to stop him leaving.

"She's never coming back, mum is never coming back" Marco sobbed, letting his body almost collapse into the brunettes arms.

"Oh, little Swan" Regina softly said, holding him close to her body to coming him.

Emma came running into the bar, stopping as she saw the pair by the door. Regina looked over at her and saw the pain in the blondes eyes, giving a similar look back. Emma just nodded to say thank you to the brunette, quickly heading back upstairs to give them some time. Emma slapped her front door shut as she collapsed on it, wanting to cry but not allowing herself to. She quickly took her phone out and clicked a number saying him. Her shaky hand held it to her ear, listening for the rings to stop.

"Emma? I'm surprised to hear from you so soon, don't we have four more days" Ryan answered with a smile, slouching down onto his large sofa.

"Yes, that's why I'm phoning. Our deal is still on, right" Emma asked in an almost cracked voice, trying hard to fight it being heard.

"Of course it is" Ryan replied happily, growing excited for the day.

"I want to add one more thing, I need you to guarantee that Regina will not be harmed" Emma quickly said, feeling her body wanting to cry at everything around her.

"What? No, way! I didn't agree to Regina, only Margot" Ryan quickly said, sitting up as he heard the words; he had no idea about Marco being transgender.

"The deal is off unless you promise to never hurt her or touch her, better yet, never see her again" Emma sternly replied, knowing she needs this to work.

"Fine! I'll see you in four days, Emma"