Married To My Enemy.

YuXin sat on the edge of her bed with the red headscarf covering her face. It's been an hour since she's left in the room alone and she was getting bored of waiting, especially after a long day of wedding ceremony.

This wedding wasn't what she intended in mind. She didn't think that at the age of 20 she'd be fetched from her sanctuary by her very own father that abandoned her there in the first place to marry a stranger in place of her step sister.

Given the choice she would have disagreed but her father was holding on to something important to her as a bargaining chip so she relented.

"When am I going to see my husband.." YuXin murmured to herself, playing with the headscarf impatiently. It was stifling having the heavy accessories on her head and she couldn't wait to get rid of it.

She restrained the urge to remove the thick makeup on her face and sat there with her face puffed up in annoyance.

"Just how long am I going to wait.." she lamented with a sigh.

"Miss. Oh I mean My lady, his highness will be back soon." the maid outside answered.

"His highness is probably drinking with the other highnesses right now."

"Ah? But it's his first night with the princess.. Would he be able to..."

"Don't be little his highness. His stamina and physical capability is well renowned across the state."

The chatters from the servants outside brought a cold chill down YuXin's spine. I am such an idiot, how could I forget about the most important part of this ceremony. She glanced around the room in panic, trying to look for an escape route but the doors were heavily guarded and the windows were sealed up.

Hearing footsteps approaching the room, YuXin quickly hid herself underneath the dining table covered in a long red table cloth.

The door creaked open loudly as the servants greeted, "Your highness."

.

Kun glanced around the room with an angry scowl on his face looking for his wife. The fact that his appointed wife by his majesty was his enemy's daughter made him dread every waking moment to come.
Failing to see her in sight, Kun peered his eyes around the room and saw her dress peeking out from the skirting of the table cloth.

He gave a scoff and remarked curtly, "I see you know where you stand. Let me make this clear to you, I. Will. Not. Love. You."

With that, he flipped his sleeve and stalked off the room as his servants stood rooted to the ground in shock.

The maid immediately went to the table and helped YuXin up, consoling her."His highness must be drunk today, my lady please don't take it to heart."

YuXin drooped her head down and slowly uncover her headscarf on her own, hiding her face from the view of the servants.

"Ah my lady, please don't cry.." the maid nudged the other servants in fluster, trying to salvage the situation when she saw YuXin's shoulder trembling.

YuXin lifted her face up with a beaming smile as she chuckled happily. My gosh, I can't believe I got it off so easily. Since his highness doesn't want anything to do with me, I can just lead a carefree life, not stepping into his boundaries.

YuXin patted the maid's shoulder, reassuring her, "Don't worry, I'm fine. His highness and I will get along just fine."

She sat down on the stool and started devouring the food on the table with fervour, enjoying every bite of the delicacies in front of her.

.

The next morning, YuXin woke up in the bed stretching lazily as she peered around the chamber. His highness did not return back to the room after laying down the harsh words, much to YuXin's delight.

The maid appeared in front of her, helping her to get ready with a basin of clean water and cloth. "My lady, let me help you."

YuXin shook her head and took the cloth from her hands, "I can do these on my own. Oh yeah, what's your name?" She immediately took a liking for the young maid with chubby cheeks in front of her. The maid reminded her of her little junior back in the sanctuary and she was glad to have the maid as company in this foreign estate.

"My lady, I'm Xiao Cui. I'll be your personal maid." Xiao cui gently pry the cloth away from YuXin and sat her down, "Its my duty to take care of you."

Pouting her lips, YuXin took the cloth and wiped her face on her own before Xiao Cui could react. "You don't have to treat me so delicately like a lady, I'm not used to this."

"Ah.. But.."

"No but, It's okay let's just be friends." YuXin smiled at Xiao cui and pulled her to sit down next to her.

"Where's his highness?" YuXin asked.

"He went to the court. He's usually there and he'd spend the rest of his day at the training ground. That.. My lady, his highness is always busy with the country's affairs. I'm sure he's not avoiding you on purpose." Xiao cui explained quickly.

"It's alright." YuXin's eyes started rolling around as her mind starting reeling with mischief. "Since his highness isn't here.. Let's go and explore the city."

[a/n]
Another short story still in the midst of writing. I really like historical setting stories so I decided to give it a go. Anyone else likes historical fiction too?

Not sure how long this is going to run yet so we'll see how it goes!