OS | Ripped

originally written and posted on February 28th, 2012 on India-Forums;

She stood by the pillar that was emphasizing the boundary of the pool. Her plain peach-colored sari added to the effect of the atmosphere around her. The full moon reflected on the crystal clear water of the pool with Stars dancing around it. She slightly leaned against the pillar, sliding lightly into a sitting posture with her hands hugging her knees. The bangs of her dark brown hair fell on her eyes, directing her hands to brush them back to where they belonged, behind the ears.

Her once soft hazel eyes filled with laughter, mischievousness and naivety now looked distant and far away as she continued to stare at the water. The moonlight reflected against her flawless skin, making her look all the more like a Greek Goddess. A smile crept up on her face after minutes of gazing into the water. Hope and happiness flooded her face; her eyes sparkled as she found the key to unburden herself. She looked up towards the sky, feeling the light breeze brushing by her cheeks, her rosy lips curled up from a frown into a smile as she silently uttered, "Amma".

It had been exactly five days. Five Days, which seemed like five years! He was tired, tired from the endless struggle with himself, let alone the others. He felt burdened and exasperated with himself for not getting things straight. The words he wanted to scream out for her wouldn't come and an unknown fear had already gripped him from inside. He entered his room to find it deserted, with her scent lingering behind. He dropped his laptop bag on the left corner of the bed, throwing his coat off, and turned around to see her but instead found NK, sitting quietly with his mouth hanging open forming an 'O', his legs folded across him as he listened intently to the soft yet musical voice narrating a tale.

"And then the little girl mounted on the horse along with her knight, who promised her to protect her from every needle on her path eternally. After endless nights of staying apart, they united again, this time with love and for eternity." These were the last words of the ongoing conversation that he heard. The few lines were so intriguing that he wanted her to tell him again. He saw the smile forming on NK's face as he witnessed her smiling up towards them.

From the look of her face, it looked as if she was going to continue. He stepped outside without making any noise only to attract NK's attention and silently leading him outside. "What was she talking NK?" his voice had a concern, fear, and a certain amount of pressure in it as he demanded the answer from his cousin.

"Relax mate! She was talking to the stars and she was telling a really beautiful story. I didn't want to disturb her so I sat behind her."

"Ok, leave now!"

The turmoil was building inside him with more force. Anger, hatred, Regret, and Love was taking over him and no matter how much he hated it, it wouldn't suppress this easily.

"You know Amma, I never forgot this story!" tears welled up in her eyes, pain pierced right through her heart like a needle making its way to the other end cutting out everything in between. "You saw what happened, right? You saw everything, didn't you? You and Babuji?" She fidgeted with the pallu of her sari and silently waited for their answer.

"I know you saw everything! I know I can count on you!" her eyes drifted from the stars to the water. She muttered under her breath. Hollowness had crept inside her again, the color which had filled her face drained as she made silent ripples in the water with her index finger. "Khushi! Why doesn't anybody like you?" She questioned herself with seriousness enveloping around her.

Her eyes furrowed as she continued to form ripples disturbing the stars and moon. "I should have felt nice after shouting at him but how could he say such a thing?!" She was confused by her own reaction to the situation. She violently shook her head as if convincing herself that everything will be back to normal! "After all that was between us, why did he force me into this marriage, I thought for once..."

her voice broke as her gaze shifted back towards the sky shimmering with stars.

"I love him and yet'" Tears filled her eyes, her eyelids no longer strong enough to hold them in, let them flow as they trailed down her cheeks. A teardrop fell on her hand. She looked down and observed the drop, which instantly dried up leaving a moist patch behind.

Her eyes fluttered through the tears, her voice was scratchy and she sat there like a lifeless, dead soul. "I want to die." She said clearly standing up. She clenched her fists; her nails dig inside her palms causing them to bleed. Every memory ran through her mind, reminiscing the moments she spent with him, the ones she spent laughing. Every single memory flashed through her mind, as she stood there watching her life float away from her, unaware that there was still hope left and not everything has been lost.

He stood straight, against the French Windows, every word of her frustrated speech echoing inside him leaving him hollow inside. The emotions had died, numbness taking over. Too much had been lost to be gained, memories of their times together flashed through him.