OS | Family Rides

Aarav plastered his face to the window of the car as his parents drove him to the school for the field trip. The skies appeared the usual dusty self and the roads seemed littered with cars.

He let out a sigh as the car came to a halt at the signal. He looked at his parents. His mother was humming tunes under her breath that didn't match up to any song he knew off while his father had his eyes on the road.

He saw a small child about his own age come up the window of his father's side with single roses in his hand.

Aarav was in the middle of observing the expressions of the child selling flowers when he found himself distracted by the glass of the window of the driver's side sliding down. His father handed the boy a note that could've bought all the roses in his hand and some more, but only took one.

He looked to see his mother now looking at his father with a coy smile and bright eyes.

"Khushi!" Arnav said forwarding the single stem of rose wrapped in cheap plastic to his wife with a smile adorning his face.

She beamed whilst accepting. She looked at the rose and leaned her head to smell it.

"Shukriya" she replied back. She didn't look back to see if Aarav was watching in her own surge of happiness and leaned forward to place a quick peck on his father's cheek.

Aarav let out a snicker at the scene in front of him which had his mother turned back to see him sitting unbuckled on his seat and falling to the left side of the armrest.

"Put your seatbelt on!" She pointed at it as the signal changed colors and the car moved again. He made a face whilst buckling up and sulked at being made to wear a seat belt for the remainder of the ride.